Dutch journalists and aid workers will soon need permission from the Ministry of Justice and Security to work in areas controlled by terrorists. A majority in the Tweede Kamer, the lower house of Dutch parliament, on Tuesday approved a legislative amendment by Justice Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus to this effect, NOS reports.
Prosecutors in the Netherlands called on judges in an Amsterdam courtroom to convict Jawed S. in the stabbings of two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station. The prosecution service argued that the act was a premeditated attempt to murder, with terrorist purposes, justifying a maximum allowable prison sentence of 25 years.
Jawed S., the 20-year-old Afghan man who stabbed two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station last year, came to the Netherlands to "kill unfair and cruel people", he said during the first day of his trial at the high security court in Amsterdam on Monday. "That was the intention with which I came to the Netherlands to protect my prophet. You gave the pig the space to express himself like that", S.
The trial against Jawed S., the man suspected of stabbing two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station on August 31st last year, starts in the high security court in Amsterdam on Monday. The two victims will be present at the trial. The three police officers who stopped S.'s attack and arrested him will also speak in the trial, with their identities hidden for security reasons, RTL Nieuws and Nieuwsuur report.
The chemicals and fertilizer found around the arrests of six suspected terrorists in Arnhem and Weert in September, were enough to make half a kilogram of explosives, the Public Prosecutor said in a proforma hearing against the six suspects on Monday. With that they could have caused a big explosion, according to the Prosecutor, AD reports.
A Rotterdam woman detained in Turkey on suspicion of belonging to a terrorist organization, was released from custody on Tuesday by the court in Istanbul. However, she has to stay in Turkey at least until her next hearing on October 3rd, NOS reports.
The 31-year-old woman was arrested at the airport in Istanbul with her 5-month-old daughter in April. After a short trip in Turkey, she was on her way to return to the Netherlands. She and her baby have been in custody since.
The police arrested a 27-year-old man in Maastricht on Wednesday on suspicion of involvement in terrorism. He is suspected of inciting a terrorist crime in the Netherlands and cooperating in training people to become a terrorist, the Public Prosecutor said on Thursday.
The police launched an investigation into the man last month, after information from intelligence service AIVD. The suspect used social media to spread jihadist and violent propaganda, including calls to commit violence, the Prosecutor said.
Children of Dutch jihadists will be placed in a special shelter when they return to the Netherlands. There they will be observed and counseled 24 hours per day to determine whether they pose a danger to society, newspaper AD reported on Friday.
According to the newspaper, older children will be placed in this shelter, where they will be kept isolated - they will not stay with other children. Kids under the age of 9 will also be examined and their mental state assessed upon their return to the Netherlands, NU.nl writes.
Intelligence and security service AIVD underestimated the social impact its official report earlier this year on Amsterdam Islamic high school Cornelius Haga Lyceum would have, AIVD director Dick Schoof said to the Volkskrant. The service warned Amsterdam that the school wanted to devote half of its curriculum to Salafist doctrine, causing an uproar.
Gokmen T. again confessed to being responsible for a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht and killing four people during the first pro-forma hearing in the case against him on Monday. He also denounced the Dutch legal system. "I don't recognize your laws, I don't recognize your judges", he said in the court in Utrecht on Monday morning, according to AD reporter Yelle Tieleman, tweeting live from the courtroom.
Gokmen T., the man suspected of killing four people and hurting multiple others in a mass shooting in Utrecht in March, must attend the next pro-forma hearing in the case against him, the court in Midden-Nederland ordered.
T. previously stated in writing that he did not want to be present, but the court "considers it important to be able to speak to the suspect during this hearing about the progress of his criminal case", the court said, NU.nl reports.
The next hearing in this case is scheduled for Monday, July 1st.
There is a very real concern in the Netherlands regarding potential terror attacks, particularly from ISIS recruits and jihadists, right-wing extremists, and radical activists, according to Dutch counter-terror office NCTV. Because of this, the terror threat level in the country remains high, with holding at 4 out of a maximum of 5 in the terrorism threat assessment published by the NCTV on Monday.
The government is investing 3.5 million euros into counter-terrorism measures at six train stations in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, and Utrecht, among others, the Telegraaf reported on Tuesday. The Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management would not say exactly which train stations are involved, according to the newspaper.
Ewold Horn's death in the Philippines can be blamed on the Dutch government, according to Warren Rodwell from Australia, a former hostage of terrorist movement Abu Sayyaf. The fact that the 54-year-old Dutch man was still a hostage of Abu Sayyaf after seven years shows that the Dutch government did not put enough effort into getting him released, Rodwell said to Dagblad van het Noorden.
Action group Kick Out Zwarte Piet filed a complaint for being listed as a terrorist group in the Netherlands' Terrorism Threat Assessment for the year 2017. But according to the national coordinator for counter-terrorism and security NCTV, this is a "misunderstanding" and the group is not seen as a terrorist organization, NU.nl reports.
Like in previous years, the number of crimes registered in the Netherlands decreased last year. In 2018, 6 percent fewer crimes were registered than in 2017, the Public Prosecutor said in its annual report on Thursday. The Dutch authorities also seized over 171 million euros in criminal assets. But while the total number of registered crimes decreased, the declining trend seemed to start reversing in the second half of the year, the Prosecutor said.
Syrian man Abdelaziz A., who was recognized as a jihad combatant in the Amsterdam debate center De Balie in 2017, worked as an informant for Dutch intelligence and security service AIVD between 2016 and 2018, Nieuwsuur reports based on information from sources.
A 47-year-old man from Syria was arrested in Kapelle in Zeeland on Tuesday on suspicion of committing war crimes and terrorist crimes in Syria. The man is suspected of being a commander of a battalion in terrorist organization Jabhat al-Nusra, the police said in a statement.
A total of 112 terrorist attacks were committed in Western countries over the past 15 years. Three quarters of these happened in the last five years, a strong increase related to the rise of terrorist organization Islamic State since 2014, according to an analysis by Dutch intelligence and security service AIVD. The number of attacks decreased again since the fall of Islamic State, NOS reports.
Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting in Utrecht on March 18th, assaulted a prison employee a few weeks before the attack on 24 Oktoberplein, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security said in a letter to the Tweede Kamer, the Volkskrant reports.
Around 50 people gathered in the center of Amsterdam on Tuesday evening to commemorate the victims killed in attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday. Speeches were held and flowers were left on Dam Square. The Sri Lankan flag was also projected onto the facade of Amsterdam Central Station, NOS reports.
Monique Allen, 54, was one of 310 people killed in terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday. "She was the best wife, the best mother", her husband Lewis Allen said to BBC.
Another two Dutch people were identified on Monday as victims of attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday. That brings the total number of Dutch victims killed to three, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported.
The 48-year-old woman and 12-year-old girl, believed to be mother and daughter, died in a suicide bombing at the Cinnamon Grand Hotel in Colombo - the same bombing in which the other Dutch victim,a 54-year-old woman, was killed, NU.nl reports.