The convicted terrorist who killed four people and injured seven others in last year's Utrecht tram shooting has been found additionally guilty of rape, the judiciary ruled on Wednesday. Gökmen T., who has been detained for life for his carrying out of the attack last March, was found guilty of raping a woman in her home in July 2017.
While the coronavirus crisis makes a large-scale terrorist attack in the Netherlands less likely, the possibility of an attack is still "conceivable", the national coordinator for counterterrorism and security NCTV said on Thursday. The terrorism threat level in the Netherlands therefore remains at 3 out of 5.
The court in Utrecht found Gokmen T. guilty of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht last March, killing four people. He was sentenced to life in prison on Friday. The sentence is equal to what the Public Prosecutor demanded.
The fourth and last day of the trail against Gokmen T., suspected of killing four people in a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht last year, had a tumultuous start. For the third time, T. was removed from the courtroom, this time for spitting at the judges and insulting them and their mothers, according to AD's live blog on the trial.
Aziz A., a suspected jihadist who played a leading role in terrorist movement Jubhat al-Nusra according to the authorities, has also been linked to 19 murders in Syria in 2012, the Public Prosecutor revealed in a proforma hearing against the 34-year-old man on Thursday. Complicity in these 19 murders have been added to the suspicions against him, the Prosecutor said, AD report.
A. came to the Netherlands with his 43-year-old brother Fatah. They are both suspected of participating in a terrorist organization, according to the newspaper.
Gokmen T., the 38-year-old man on trial for killing four people in a mass shooting on an Utrecht tram on 18 March 2019, was again removed from court on Tuesday. This time he made a snide comment to one of the victims who survived the attack. "I no longer want the suspect in the room," the court president said, NOS reports. "I don't want order to be disturbed in this way."
Gokmen T., the man on trial for killing four people in a mass shooting in a tram in Utrecht last year, was at his ease during the shooting, according to witnesses. At one point it seemed like he was using Dutch nursery rhyme "iene miene mutte" to choose between two victims, according to a video reconstruction of the attack shown on the first day of the trial against T.
Suspect Gökmen T. wrote references to Islam, Sharia and Allah on the firearm used to commit a mass shooting in Utrecht in March last year, "reliable sources" told RTL Nieuws. Soon after the shooting on 24 Oktoberplein on March 18th, the Public Prosecution Service (OM) revealed that text was written on the weapon, but never said what it stated.
Before Dutch F-16s bombarded an ammunitions factory in Hawija, Iraq, it was known that "the expected collateral damage could be greater" than emerged from calculations, NOS and NRC report based on internal documents received from the Ministry of Defense through the Open Government Act. At least 70 civilians were killed in that bombing in 2015.
The police arrested a 40-year-old man from Iran in Delft on Monday on suspicion of preparing an attack and participating a terrorist organization, the police said in a statement. The police started investigating the man in January based on information from intelligence service AIVD that he and others were preparing for one or more terrorist attacks in Iran.
The VVD and CDA want to amend the Passport Act to make sure that people whose Dutch nationality was stripped because they joined a terrorist organization can not get a new passport from the Dutch government. "This is another step to prevent these people from returning to the Netherlands and making our country unsafe," VVD parliamentarian Dilan Yeşilgöz said, RTL Nieuws reports.
An investigation into the source of threats against specific police officers posted in a Telegram chat group led to the arrest of a 23-year-old man from Papendrecht. The man is suspected of using the app to share photos of the two Rotterdam officers with a message promising money in exchange for personal information about them, according to RTL Nieuws.
Sharing a photo of an officer and seeking out their identity or address is not illegal, a spokesperson for the Public Prosecutor's Office told the broadcaster. That changes when an actual threat is included with the posting.
The Netherlands is opening three new embassies in Armenia, Niger and Burkina Faso in order to be "better prepared for migration flows and to be able to cope with terrorism and human rights violations", Minister Stef Blok of Foreign Affairs announced in a letter to parliament.
Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht in March, did not appear in court for a proforma hearing in his case on Monday, despite a court order that he attend. A lot of violence would have been needed to get him to the courtroom, the court said. "It is not up to the suspect to dictate whether he appears or not, but under these circumstances the court refrains from forcing him to be present," the court president said, according to broadcaster NOS.
The police have no indications that a 35-year-old man arrested for stabbing three teenagers in The Hague on Friday had a terrorist motive. What the man's motive was, is not yet clear. But the police are not treating this as a terrorism investigation, NU.nl reports.
The parents of a 20-year-old man arrested on Monday on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack in the Netherlands, is shocked by the accusations against their son. "We never expected this. If it is true, we strongly reject it. But we hope it's not true", the parents said to newspaper AD.
Two men were arrested in the Netherlands on Monday, accused of preparing to carry out a terrorist attack using at least one car bomb and bomb vests, the Public Prosecution Service (OM) revealed on Tuesday. The suspects were allegedly plotting to carry out an attack in the Netherlands by the end of the year.
Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security called it "very disappointing" that Turkey decided to deport two women suspected of participating in terrorist organization ISIS to the Netherlands. The women, with two children, arrived at Schiphol on Tuesday. The women were arrested and the children transferred to the Child Protection Board, the Public Prosecution Service said.
Increasing trust issues between police officers in the National Unit is putting the intelligence work this police service is responsible for at serious risk, newspaper NRC reports based on conversations with people involved. The intelligence gathered by the National Unit is used for tackling terrorism and serious crime, including drug trafficking from Spain and Colombia.
Junaid I. was sentenced to 10 years in prison for threatening an attack on PVV leader Geert Wilders by the court in The Hague on Monday. The court convicted the 27-year-old Pakistani man of preparing for a murder with a terrorist purpose. The sentence is higher than the six years the Public Prosecutor demanded.
A court in Den Haag ordered the Netherlands to quickly bring 56 children of Dutch parents back to the country from Syrian detention and displacement camps. The case was filed on behalf of 23 mothers living in the camps.
In its verdict, the court noted that "the children have not chosen to go to Syria or to stay in Syria. They are sitting there now because their parents have chosen to travel to the Caliphate and join IS."
Authorities in the Netherlands arrested a Dutch man at Schiphol Airport after Swedish officials accused the man of producing terrorist propaganda, the Dutch prosecution service OM said on Friday. He was living in Sweden for the past three years and was deported on Wednesday as an undesirable alien, the OM stated.
The 28-year-old was “was arrested after arrival at Schiphol on suspicion of involvement in terrorism.”
He became the focus of an investigation because of his online behavior, which uncovered ties to ISIS, the OM said.
An airstrike by a Dutch F-16 on a car bomb factory in Iraq in 2015 left at least 70 civilians dead, NOS and NRC report based on their own research. This is the first study showing how many civilians were killed in Dutch bombings in the fight against terrorist organization Islamic State.
The bombing happened during the early hours of 3 June 2015. It completely destroyed a neighborhood in the Iraqi city of Hawija. It is considered one of the bloodiest attacks by the international coalition against ISIS, aimed at a military target.