The European Union placed two Iranians and Iran's military intelligence service on the European terrorism list after it was revealed that Iran was likely responsible for two murders in the Netherlands, NU.nl reports.
A terrorism suspect who was arrested in the German city of Mainz at the end of last year, will be extradited to the Netherlands next week, the judiciary in Koblenz announced. The man lives in Rotterdam, but was visiting his cousin on the day of his arrest, December 29th, NOS reports.
Heavily-armed police in the Netherlands stormed onto a stopped passenger train to capture two men sitting in the train car. It was one of three separate incidents in two hours taking place at or near the Zwolle train station, which led to the arrests of five people in total.
Another Rotterdam man was arrested on suspicion of involvement in terrorist-related crimes, the Public Prosecutor's office said on Monday. The arrest is not connected to the arrest of four men in Rotterdam over the weekend, suspected of plotting a terrorist act.
Monday's announcement concerns a 24-year-old man who will be interrogated in the coming days. Little was revealed about the suspected plan.
No weapons or explosives were found. In searching his home, several data collection devices were seized.
With New Year's Eve right around the corner, authorities decided to quickly move forward with the arrests of several suspects allegedly preparing a terrorist attack, according to broadcaster NOS. Normally, an investigation into similar suspects could take months, but in this case police were tipped off just days ago, NOS reported.
Four people were arrested in Rotterdam on Saturday morning under suspicion of plotting a terrorist attack. Evidence collection was underway at the locations where the suspects were caught, authorities said.
Police did not immediately reveal what the planned attack entailed.
Specialist arrest teams were joined by Rotterdam police in the initial capture. The Public Prosecutor's office is now running the ensuing investigation.
A Dutch man arrested in Salou, Spain on Monday was not planning a terrorist attack, but seems to be struggling with mental health problems. 29-year-old Khalid M.'s disorderly behavior had the Catalan police worried, but in the end there was no terrorist threat, ANP reports.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte reacted in horror to reports of a shooting at a Christmas market in the French city of Strasbourg on Tuesday evening. At least three people were killed and 12 injured, six of whom are in a serious condition, French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner confirmed, BBC reports.
"Horrible reports about the shooting in Strasbourg", the Dutch Prime Minister said on Twitter. "My thoughts are with the victims and their next of kin. I have conveyed my condolences to President Emmanuel Macron."
One of two American tourists who were stabbed at Amsterdam Central Station in August is now bound to a wheelchair and may be for the rest of his life, his lawyer said in a pro-forma hearing against suspect Jawed S. on Tuesday. The other victim was stabbed in his arm and sustained nerve damage, NU.nl reports.
One of two men suspected of planning to commit a terrorist attack in Rotterdam was previously sentenced to three years in prison in Germany. He was released at the end of last year, was revealed in a pro-forma hearing against the two in the court of Rotterdam, ANP reports.
What the man was convicted of is not clear. But according to the Public Prosecutor, it was not a "terrorism-related" case. Neither suspect was present in the courtroom for the hearing.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs accidentally released the name of two groups in Syria that received non-lethal aid from the Netherlands, after previously declaring these names state secret for security reasons. The names were unveiled in approximately 2 thousand pages of documents that were released at the request of Nieuwsuur and Trouw.
The Dutch authorities will be holding large anti-terrorism exercises in various locations in the Netherlands on Thursday. This "realistic exercise" will be based on a terrorist attack and the consequences thereof, and will involve a large number of participants, the police said.
A group of seven men arrested in September for planning terrorist attacks in the Netherlands, was considering Amsterdam Pride as a possible target, the main suspect said to an undercover police officer, RTL Nieuws reports based on information from multiple sources.
Members of a group arrested in September on suspicion of preparing for terrorist attacks in the Netherlands, received terrorism training at a holiday park in Weert on the day of their arrest. The training consisted of learning to use handguns and Kalashnikovs and fitting bomb vests, RTL Nieuws reports based on its own research and information from multiple sources.
The Netherlands has approximately 500 jihadists and several thousand sympathizers of jihadist ideology, general intelligence service AIVD said in a report published on Monday. "They pose a potential threat. The threshold for committing an attack in the name of Islamic State or Al Qaeda seems to have decreased", the AIVD said, NU.nl reports.
The police infiltrated the group of seven suspects arrested last month for planning a major attack in the Netherlands. An undercover cop made contact with main suspect Hardi N., pretended to be an "attack planner" for terrorist organization Islamic State, and helped the group to plan their attack and arrange weapons, RTL Nieuws and NRC report.
The Public Prosecutor is increasingly convinced that Malek F. had a terrorist motive when he stabbed three people in The Hague in May. A report from Islam experts and bugged conversations F. had since his arrest show that the 32-year-old Syrian refugee had been radicalized, the Prosecutor said in a pro-forma hearing against F. on Monday, NOS reports.
Seven men suspected of preparing for a large terrorist attack in the Netherlands, will stay in custody for at least another 14 days, the court in Rotterdam decided. According ot the judge, there is sufficient evidence to extend their remand, NOS reports.
The United States Department of State adjusted travel advice for the Netherlands because of a threat of terrorism. The threat level given by the U.S. for the Netherlands was raised from level 1 to level 2. This means that there are increased safety risks and visitors must be extra careful, according to the travel advice, RTL Nieuws reports.
The authorities in Arnhem has been intensively monitoring a group of about 25 radicalized Muslims for some time, mayor Ahmed Marcouch said. The seven men arrested last week on suspicion of planning a major terrorist attack in the Netherlands, belonged to this group, De Gelderlander reports.
After the arrest of seven suspected terrorists in Arnhem and Weert on Thursday, the mayor of Weert is discussing extra security measures around the fair in the city with the police. It is known that the arrested men are suspected of planning a terrorist attack at an event in the Netherlands, but which event is still unclear, RTL Nieuws reports.
The youngest of the suspected terrorists arrested on Thursday, was previously arrested for taking selfies with F-16 fighter jets at the military airbase in Volkel, according to the Telegraaf. At that time 21-year-old Wail el A. was already once convicted for a failed attempt to travel to Syria and join a terrorist organization there, the newspaper writes.
The police released video footage of the arrests of seven men suspected of planning a terrorist attack in the Netherlands. The video shows SWAT teams raiding a white van in a parking lot and entering a home.
Beelden van de arrestaties in het terrorisme onderzoek. pic.twitter.com/ji5w3mLeCM
— Landelijke Eenheid (@PolitieLE) September 27, 2018