Gokmen T., the 37-year-old man suspected of killing three people and injuring five in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday, has a lengthy criminal record and is considered "scum" among his neighbors. But they don't believe him a terrorist. Relationship problems were behind the shooting, not religion, they told the Volkskrant. Angelique, the victim in a rape case against T., believes the same.
More information is becoming available about the victims of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Rinke Terpstra, a coach at football association DESTO in Leisdche Rijn, and Roos Verschuur, a 19-year-old employee of the Kwalitaria snackbar in Vianen, were killed in the shooting. So far no details are available about the third victim killed. Five people were injured.
Flags across The Netherlands will be lowered, and will fly at half-staff on Tuesday, said Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte at a press conference on Monday evening. The move is in response to a mass shooting that left three people dead, and at least five others injured in Utrecht.
"Our country was startled today by an attack in Utrecht," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said at the beginning of a hastily arranged press conference on Monday afternoon. He was addressing journalists following a shooting inside a tram on the 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning.
"Now it is certain that the passengers on a tram were shot. There were injuries and possibly fatalities," he said. "Our thoughts are with the victims whose lives have been turned upside down."
Police in Utrecht are searching for 37-year-old Gökmen T. in connection with the apparent fatal shooting at 24 Oktoberplein in the city. Police released a photo of the man, while simultaneously authorities were investigating the scene of an abandoned car with broadcast reports of a possible explosion threat.
The tram doors wouldn't immediately open after a man opened fire on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht at around 10:45 a.m. on Monday morning, according to one witness. Multiple people were injured. Journalists at the scene report seeing a body covered by a sheet, according to NOS. Though the authorities have not yet confirmed whether anyone was killed.
The Dutch authorities are looking for one suspect following a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, head of the national coordinator for counterterrorism and security NCTV, said in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He added that it can not be ruled out that more people were involved.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte is very worried by a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning. "Very disturbing news', he said to NOS as he was heading back to his office to meet with a crisis team that has been gathered. The national coordinator for counter terrorism and security NCTV increased the threat level for the province of Utrecht to 5, the highest threat level, until at least 6:00 p.m.
Two suspects were arrested in Amsterdam this week in connection with the coordinated terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13, 2015. The attacks killed 130 victims and injured 413 more. Seven suspects died in the incidents.
Police detained a two men, aged 29 and 31, in Amsterdam on Tuesday. A Rotterdam court ordered the younger man to remain in confinement for the next two weeks, according to the Public Prosecutor's office (OM). He is in solitary confinement to prevent any attempts to corrupt an ongoing investigation.
The Cornelius Haga Lyceum received threatening emails after the national coordinator of counterterrorism and security NCTV warned parliament and the Amsterdam mayor that employees of the school had contact with a terrorist organization, ANP reports.
Criminal defense lawyers are using a Dutch aid program for Syrian combat groups to get Dutch jihadists returning from Syria acquitted, according to Nieuwsuur and Trouw. The so-called NLA program is playing an important role in at least six criminal cases, the news agencies report after speaking to lawyers representing returned foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian civil war.
A 48-year-old man from Groningen was arrested in the Overijssel town of De Lutte last week for preparing a terrorist crime, the Public Prosecutor announced on Wednesday. The police launched an investigation into the man after information from intelligence service AIVD that the man adheres to ISIS ideology.
There are still jihadists who are making plans to commit an attack in the Netherlands, the national coordinator for counter terrorism and security NCTV said in its latest threat assessment. The chance of an attack in the Netherlands remains real, and the threat level is therefore still at 4 on a scale of 5, NOS reports.
The man suspected of committing a terrorist attack at Amsterdam Central Station in August intends to do worse if the Dutch government does not intervene against PVV leader Geert Wilders, he said during a proforma hearing on Friday. He also intends to deal with Wilders himself, 19-year-old Jawed S. said in court, NU.nl reports.
The Dutch Public Prosecutor has lists showing that Dutch jihadists received salaries from terrorist organization Islamic State in its possession. These payslips were given to the Dutch authorities by the FBI, newspaper AD reports.
The lists contain the names of all people who worked for ISIS in 2016 and 2017 in Arabic and English. This ranges from fighters to people who did supportive work. The lists include a number of Dutch people, some of whom are currently in custody in the Netherlands, according to the newspaper.
The Turkish police arrested three Dutch persons in an operation against terrorist organization Islamic State in Bursa, in the northwest of the country, sources within the Turkish security services told state press agency Anadolu.
A total of four people were arrested, three of whom had a Dutch passport. They were linked to ISIS activities in Syria, according to Turkish media. At least one of the suspects is a woman who has both Dutch and Moroccan nationality. The fourth suspect is Iraqi.
Journalist Ans Boersma knew that her ex-boyfriend Abd A. belonged to al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group Jabat Al Nustra. Tapped conversations show that he told her, the Public Prosecutor said in a pro-forma hearing against the man, ANP reports.
The 33-year-old man from Syria is suspected of participating in a terrorist organization, and involvement in attacks in Syria with many fatalities.
Karenia J. from Zwolle died in a Syrian prison camp from illness and malnutrition two weeks ago. As the Belgian man she married in the ISIS caliphate also died, presumably on the battlefield, their two young children are now orphans. They are being taken cared for in the area, though exactly what this entails is unclear, AD reports.
The Dutch government wants airlines to share information about their passengers with the government in future. This data is necessary in the fight against "terrorism and serious crime", Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security said in a letter to the Tweede Kamer, the lower house of Dutch parliament, AD reports.
Ans Boersma, a Dutch journalist who was deported from Turkey last week, is filing a civil lawsuit against the Dutch State. She holds the Netherlands liable for the emotional and material damages she suffered as a result of the deportation, Nieuwsuur reports.
Ans Boersma, a Financieele Dagblad correspondent who was deported from Turkey on Thursday morning, is suspected of committing forgery in the visa application for her Syrian ex-boyfriend, television program Nieuwsuur reports based on information from sources in The Hague.
Financieele Dagblad correspondent Ans Boersma was deported from Turkey because she is suspected of having links with a terrorist organization, a spokesperson for Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a written statement. The spokesperson said Turkey received information about the issue from the Dutch police, who asked Turkey to share information about Boersma's "journeys in and out of Turkey", NU.nl reports.
Two men suspected of involvement in terrorism were sentenced to up to 3 years in prison by the court in Rotterdam on Monday. They were convicted for participating in a terrorist organization, NU.nl reports.
Altaf T., a 30-year-old Iraqi-Swedish man, was sentenced to 3 years in prison. Secan A., a 22-year-old from Vlaardingen, got 30 months, 12 of which conditionally suspended.
The Netherlands escaped a terrorist attack that could've resulted in "dozens of victims" with the arrest of seven suspects in Arnhem and Weert in September last year, the Public Prosecutor said in court on Thursday - the first proforma hearing in this case. Only three of the six suspects still in detention were present at the hearing, AD reports.