Dozens of former soldiers are pressing charges of defamation and slander against lawyer Liesbeth Zegveld, who is representing the relatives of hijackers killed in a train hijacking at De Punt in 1977. The relatives are suing the Dutch government, saying that the train was stormed with the intention to kill the hijackers.
The Ministry of Defense temporarily made it impossible to install sports- and fitness apps on Defense phones, Defense Minister Ank Bijleveld told parliament on Sunday after it was revealed that personal data can easily be obtained from the Polar fitness app, ANP reports.
"Private data of military personnel, civilian staff and in particular intelligence services are out on the streets, at home and abroad", Bijleveld said. "The ministry repeatedly reminded staff of the specific vulnerability of such apps."
Three new witnesses came forward in the trial around the hijacking of a train at De Punt in 1977. The three new witnesses, former officers, say that soldiers who stormed the hijacked train were ordered not to take the Moluccan hijackers prisoner, but to shoot and kill them, the Volkskrant reports.
Dutch soldiers are again allowed to wear their uniforms in public. Minister Ank Bijleveld of Defense lifted the ban that was implemented in 2014 due to an increased threat of attacks on soldiers by jihadists, according to a Defense memorandum that will be published on Monday, ANP reports.
"The army has the task of protecting our kingdom and its allies. So it is also important that you are recognizable and approachable", the Minister said. According to her, the ban is being lifted at the express wish of Dutch soldiers.
Two soldiers were injured in an accident at Volkel airbase on Monday evening. One was rushed to hospital with serious injuries. There was a collision and the soldiers ended up in a ditch with their off-road vehicle, a spokesperson for the Koninklijke Marechaussee said to newspaper AD.
Several ambulances and a trauma helicopter responded to the airbase. The seriously injured soldier was rushed to hospital. The Marechaussee spokesperson could not tell AD whether he is in mortal danger. The other soldier sustained only minor injuries and was treated at the scene.
The Dutch Ministry of Defense will pay tribute to the last still living Moluccan soldiers who fought for the Netherlands in the colonial army in Indonesia. The former soldiers will be received on De Zwalunberg estate and receive medals they are entitled to. They will also be recognized as veterans, ANP reports.
The military department of the court in Arnhem is handling a case on Thursday involving a female soldier being sexually assaulted by a male soldiers, as two of their colleagues filmed the incident. The assault happened at the Luitenant-generaal Best barracks in Vredepeel in October last year, the Telegraaf reports.
The two soldiers ended up in the same room after a night out. The young woman could not get into her own accommodations and asked her male colleague if she could spend the night in his room, according to the newspaper.
The Public Prosecutor will not prosecute three commando soldiers involved in the death of a colleague during training in Ossendrecht last year. The soldiers were wrongly suspected of death by negligence and the cases against them were dropped, the Prosecutor announced on Wednesday, ANP reports.
In what he describes as a "small miracle", Willem-Wouter Dijkstra managed to track down the owner of a WWII bracelet he picked up while hiking 16 years ago. Or track down the owner's family at least, the Telegraaf reports.
Residents of Doctor Schaepmanstraat in Kaatsheuvel are shocked by the drama that unfolded in their street early on Wednesday morning. 48 year old military shooting instructor Robert was arrested for murdering his wife Dollie. Robert himself called the police.
A soldier was arrested a woman was found dead in a home in Kaatsheuvel on Wednesday morning. The police believe she was murdered.
A 19-year-old Dutch soldier was arrested on Stationsplein in Nijmegen on Sunday on suspicion that he assaulted a train conductor, the police announced on Monday.
A large number of American families have contacted the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten, Limburg through email in order to find out how to get in touch with the Dutch families who adopted their relatives' headstones and grave sites, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday. Thousands of families, mainly from the Netherlands, but also from Belgium and Germany have volunteered and committed to take care of all 8,300 graves of American men and women buried at the cemetery.