The number of sexual violence victims reporting to one of the Sexual Violence Centers in the Netherlands, skyrocketed as a result of the #metoo discussion about sexual harassment, Ineke Sybesma of the Victim Support Fund said to RTL Nieuws. "With an average of 250 reports in the first months of this year, the reports doubled to 550 in October, and November shows the same picture", she said to the broadcaster.
Roughly 75 percent of adult-aged men in the Netherlands say they have never engaged in any form of sexual misconduct, a new survey conducted by newspaper AD reveals. Over 300 men were questioned in the survey, conducted as six weeks of high profile reporting has detailed sexual abuse and harassment allegations against prominent international and Dutch figures.
About one of every seven countered said they could not be sure if they did or did not cross a boundary, answering, “I can not be the judge of that.”
Pieter an Vollenhoven, husband of Princess Margriet, is facing criticism after posting a controversial tweet about the #metoo discussion on Tuesday night. He has since removed the tweet. The Victim Aid Fund, of which Van Vollenhoven is honorary chairman, called the tweet "absolutely awkward", RTL Nieuws reports.
An 18-year-old man from the Noord-Brabant town of Langenboom was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl from te same town, the police said in a statement. "What exactly happened, the police don't know yet. The sex crime department is investigating the case", the police said.
Several local residents told newspaper AD that the sexual assault happened at local football club SES Langenboom on Dennendijk. The girl was playing on the terrain of the club when the young man attacked her.
Dutch bank ING decided to drop Kevin Spacey as a speaker at a BusinessBoost event later this month following multiple accusations of sexual assault against the American actor, the bank announced in a statement sent to NL Times on Friday.
With reporting by Janene Pieters.
Dutch bank ING is still undecided if actor Kevin Spacey will be dropped as a speaker at its BusinessBoost event later this month after at least four men accused the American actor of sexually assaulting, abusing, or harassing them over the course of his career. An ING spokesperson told NL Times at the beginning of the week they want clarity and more information about the situation before making a firm decision to drop Spacey or to keep him as the event's headliner.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 6 years in prison against Ron O. from Tilburg in court on Monday. The 47-year-old man is accused of raping 11 women and sexually assaulting a 12th while pretending to be a doctor, ANP reports.
O. performed physical examinations, including internal vaginal and anal examinations, on his victims. They thought that he was qualified to do so, and only afterwards discovered that he was not really a doctor.
The military department of the court in Arnhem is handling a case on Thursday involving a female soldier being sexually assaulted by a male soldiers, as two of their colleagues filmed the incident. The assault happened at the Luitenant-generaal Best barracks in Vredepeel in October last year, the Telegraaf reports.
The two soldiers ended up in the same room after a night out. The young woman could not get into her own accommodations and asked her male colleague if she could spend the night in his room, according to the newspaper.
The court on Curacao sentenced pastor Orlando B. to nine years in prison for sexually assaulting three teenage girls and four young women. The court also banned him from working as pastor for 14 years, NOS reports.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 18 years in prison and a professional ban of 20 years against the man. He was charged with sexually assaulting a total of 10 women and girls. In three cases he was acquitted.
A 54-year-old pastor from the Rains of Blessing church on Curacao is standing trial for raping 10 girls. His youngest victim was 11 years old. On Wednesday the Public Prosecutor demanded 18 years in prison against him, and that he be banned from leading any church for 20 years, NOS reports.
The 14-year-old boy suspected of sexually assaulting and killing 14-year-old Romy Nieuwburg on Friday last week, made a statement to the judiciary in which he confessed to both charges, the Public Prosecutor said on Twitter. He was remanded into custody for two weeks, the magistrate ruled on Thursday. According to the magistrate, there is currently sufficient suspicion to keep him in custody.
The J.H. Donner School in De Glind is stunned that 14-year-old student Romy Nieuwburg knew the boy suspected of killing her from school. "Again one of us then", school director Jan Hofman said in a statement on the school's Facebook page.
Eefje van Iersel from Den Bosch was sexually abused by a masseur who offered to treat her foot pain for free, she said in a post on Facebook. She was quickly flooded with comments and messages from other women claiming to be abused by the same man, when he presented himself as a photographer to amateur models, and also a tutor for students or a driving instructor, Omroep Brabant reports.
A 28-year-old woman from Hoorn managed to track down a man suspected of violently assaulting and choking her by posing as another woman on a chat site. The suspect, Somali asylum seeker Mohammed M., is now in custody and will appear in court on Friday, the Telegraaf reports.
M. attacked the woman in October last year. The man sexually assaulted and tried to choke the Hoorn woman, according to the newspaper. He also stole her phone before fleeing.
The Australian police released a photo of two men wanted in connection with the sexual assault of a 27-year-old Dutch woman on the Sydney Harbour Bridge late last month. The police only say that the pictured men could "assist with inquiries", so it is not clear whether they are suspects or possible witnesses.
An asylum seeker living in the Netherlands was convicted of the rape and attempted murder of a 17-year-old girl in Kampen, a panel of judges in Zwolle, Overijssel ruled on Thursday. The Sudanese-born man, Samuel T., was sentenced to 12 years in prison for the attack in the early morning hours of September 4, 2016. During the trial, T., 33, said he would accept any punishment and was not planning an appeal.
Authorities in Cambodia released 53-year-old Dutch man Stefan S., held in connection with the assault and alleged sexual abuse of a toddler. Graphic videos showing a naked toddler shocked with an electric candle prod, and further abuse, led to the arrests of S., and two of his Cambodian workers, named 28-year-old Ret Sothy and 25-year-old Oeu Nat, according to the Cambodia Daily.
Sothy and Nat were also released. The Dutch man’s presumed boyfriend, Nguyen Thanh Dung, 25, was arrested Wednesday night in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. He is still in custody.
A man wanted for sexually assaulting a young woman on Weesperzijde on November 6th, may have tried to attack another woman earlier that evening, according to surveillance camera footage shown on Opsporing Verzocht on Tuesday.
The police released a composite sketch of a man suspected of sexually assaulting a woman on Weesperzijde near the bridge over the S112 exit earlier this month. Detectives hope that information from the public will help lead to an arrest.
The attack happened on November 6th around 5:30 a.m. A young woman was cycling home from the city center when a man pushed her off her bicycle under the viaduct. She fell to the ground and the man dragged her to a nearby field of grass.
A repeat sex offender managed to open up a home for foster children five years ago, without anyone realizing that the children were not safe in his custody, Dutch newspapers AD and Gelderlander report based on their own research.
Prince Bernhard is accused of sexually assaulting an underage girl in the new biography of his wife Juliana. According to the book by Jolande Withuis, which was published on Tuesday, Bernhard groped and kissed a 16-year-old girl, NU.nl reports.
Nearly half of rape victims were previously sexually abused or assaulted, according to a survey among 300 rape victims by the Center Sexual Violence Utrecht