The Supreme Court approved agreements the Public Prosecutor made with two key witnesses in the so-called Passage process - a large lawsuit revolving around a total of seven assassinations committed between 1993 and 2006, NU.nl reports.
A 16-year-old boy who went to his Roermond school heavily armed last year, tried to murder two people, according to the Public Prosecutor. The boy will therefore be charged with double attempted murder, De Limburger reports.
The Public Prosecution Service made a huge blunder. A photo of the most important key witness in the case against Ridouan Taghi, the most wanted criminal in the Netherlands, ended up in the criminal files of all suspects around Taghi, the Prosecutor confirmed to RTL Nieuws after reports in the Telegraaf.
The police photo of Nabil B. ended up in the files of suspects who are on trail on Thursday for involvement in multiple underworld assassinations. The main suspect in the case is fugitive Ridouan Taghi.
The number of reports of discrimination filed in the Netherlands dropped from 11,479 in 2017 to 10,087 last year, the Public Prosecutor announced in its annual report on discrimination cases on Tuesday. As in previous years, most reports involved discrimination based on origin, NU.nl reports.
The Public Prosecutor's report includes figures from anti-discrimination facilities ADVs, the police, the online discrimination reporting center MiND and the Netherlands Institute for Human Rights. Only the Human Rights Institute saw an increase in reports last year, from 416 to 510.
Decorated soldier Marko Kroon will be prosecuted for assaulting a cop in Den Bosch during Carnival early in March. He will be prosecuted for "breach of honor, insult and simple assault", the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Friday. The Ministry of Defense announced that Kroon is suspended in anticipation of his trial.
Malek F. was suffering from psychosis when he stabbed three random victims in The Hague last year, and is therefore completely unaccountable, behavioral experts concluded after examining the man. He should be treated in a psychiatric institution, in a department for patients with psychotic disorders. The chance of recurrence is high, the experts said, was revealed in a proforma hearing against the man on Wednesday, NU.nl reports.
On Monday the Public Prosecutor demanded 6 months in prison against two police officers who the Prosecutor believes payed a culpable role in the arrest of Mitch Henriquez, and his subsequent death. The Prosecutor also wants the two officers to be suspended from the police force for two years, NU.nl reports.
A man who was found dead in the Utrecht village of Wilnis on Wednesday, was acquitted in February of stalking a woman who was shot and killed in Mijdrecht on Tuesday night. The woman pressed charges against the 54-year-old man in September last year, accusing him of insulting and stalking her between May and September 2018, NOS reports.
A 24-year-old man from The Hague was arrested at Schiphol airport last week Wednesday. He is suspected of fighting in the Syrian civil war on the side of the Kurdish YPG militia, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement.
A month in prison was demanded against 52-year-old Peter van D. from Helmond in the court in Den Bosch on Tuesday, for hiding his 84-year-old father's body in the father's house after his death. Hundreds of flies in the window finally led to the discovery of the elderly man's remains, AD reports.
The Dutch authorities launched a Safe Press project on Monday with the goal to better protect journalists and help ensure that they can do their jobs safely. The project includes the police and Public Prosecutor giving high priority to finding perpetrators of violence or aggression against journalists, harsher punishment demands for these crimes, and a hotline where journalists can report incidents, the police said in a statement.
The police arrested Rotterdam athletics coach Jerry M. on suspicion of sexually abusing minor girls for years at various sports clubs in the Rotterdam region. The investigators are also looking into abuses "outside the Netherlands", the Public Prosecutor announced.
Over the past months the authorities spoke to 60 people in the athletics world, the Prosecutor said. The man was now arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and sexual acts with minors. The decision about whether he will be prosecuted will be made later this week.
On Monday customs officers found a "large batch" of cocaine at the office building of a Rotterdam fruit company on Keilestraat, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement.
The drugs were hidden in a banana shipment from Ecuador, according to the Prosecutor. In a number of pallets full of banana boxes, the fruit was replaced by packages of cocaine. The drugs were confiscated and destroyed.
Customs, the Tax Authority's investigative department FIOD, the seaport police and the Public Prosecutor are investigating. As far as is known, no arrests were made.
The Amsterdam mayor, police and Public Prosecution Service will further tighten the approach to ending ethnic profiling by the police, following a report by Bureau Beuke that the current approach is insufficient, AD reports.
Entrepreneur Ben Timmermans of company Avitec infra & milieu is withdrawing from Drenthe wind farm project De Monden due to a threatening letter he received. Groningen Provincial Deputy Fleur Gräper-van Koolwijk (D66) also received a threatening letter regarding a wind farm project in the province. The police are investigating, Dagblad van het Noorden reports.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
T. was remanded into custody for two weeks in a hearing earlier that day. "He also stated that he acted alone. In light of the investigation, no comment can be given regarding his statement," the OM said.
Joel S. confessed to stabbing 21-year-old American student Sarah Papenheim to death in the student complex where they lived in Rotterdam. On Friday he said in the court in Rotterdam that he told the police everything he knows, but that he can not remember many of the events on the day of the murder, NU.nl reports.
A 27-year-old man that was held for a time in connection with a fatal shooting on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, says that people still see him as an attacker - even though the police released him because he wasn't involved in the attack. "On social media I have been called a traitor, and on the street I am addressed as a terrorist", he said to newspaper AD.
A group of Utrecht residents are organizing a silent march for the victims of a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein. The march will start at 7:00 p.m. on Friday on Jaarbeursplein, from where participants will walk to the scene of the attack, NU.nl reports.
"We want do do this for Utrecht", one of the organizers said to DUIC. "We want to show that we will not be knocked apart. And that we are actually getting closer together and supporting each other in this time."
The police found no indications that suspected gunman Gokmen T. received help from other people in the shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday. He acted alone with terrorist intent, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Thursday.
Eleven men, including the former deputy head prosecutor of the National Office and fraud specialist Vincent L., are being prosecuted for paying to commit sexual acts with an underage boy, NU.nl reports
The suspects are all from Amsterdam and Amstelveen and between 38 and 58 years old. The police tracked down the suspects after the boy's parents filed a police report in January 2017. The parents found suspicious messages on the boy's phone. He was around 16 years old at the time.
So far the investigation into a shooting on 24 Oktoberlaan in Utrecht on Monday revealed no links between suspected gunman 37-year-old Gokmen T. and the victims, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Tuesday. Three people were killed and multiple injured, three of whom seriously, in the shooting on a tram on Monday morning.
Dejan A., one of three suspected shooters in a quadruple murder in Enschede last year, tried to buy an automatic firearm shortly before the murders, the Public Prosecutor revealed in the court in Almelo on Tuesday during a pro-forma hearing against the suspected suppliers of the weapons used in the murders, De Gelderlander reports.