An investigation was launched in 2013 into the person responsible for the deaths of four Dutch journalists in El Salvador in 1982, according to Jos van Dongen of TV program Zembla. A spokesperson for the Public Prosecutor confirmed that a criminal investigation has been ongoing for five years, Nieuwsuur reports.
Judge Jan Wolter Wabeke officially withdrew from a lawsuit filed by a group of anti-smokers against the tobacco industry. On Monday the lawyer representing this group, Benedicte Ficq, accused the judge of being biased. Later in the day the court in The Hague granted Wabeke's request to withdraw, NOS reports.
Ficq told the media that he learned through an acquaintance that Wabeke had been "condescending" about this case while speaking in private, saying that smoking is the smoker's own responsibility. Ficq asked him to withdraw.
A former group leader of youth care institution Hoenderloo Groep in Apeldoorn appeared in court on Monday on charges of forcing an underage girl at the institution into prostitution. The PvdA will ask parliamentary questions about this case, Omroep Gelderland reports.
The bodies of two children, a man and a woman were found after a fire in a home in Papendrecht on Saturday morning. Traces of violence were found on the bodies. "They may not have died in the fire", the Public Prosecutor said in a press conference in Papendrecht on Saturday afternoon, NU.nl reports.
The house fire was reported to emergency services at around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday. Firefighters found the bodies after breaking down the door. Attempts to resuscitate them were to no avail.
Three of nine men suspected of involvement in an attempt to break criminal Benaouf A. out of the prison in Roermond, were released from custody on Thursday. The court in Amsterdam suspended the pre-trail detention of Abdellatif N., Sofyan El H. and Saifedine M., to the astonishment of the Public Prosecutor, NU.nl reports.
The Public Prosecutor added a charge of possession of child pornography against Jos B., the man already suspected of sexually abusing and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998. The 55-year-old man was reprimanded into another 90 days of custody by the court on Thursday, NU.nl reports.
The Dutch authorities managed to hack into the phones of two men suspected of assassinating Samir Erraghib in IJsselstein in 2016. The Public Prosecutor believes that data from these phones will reveal which of the two suspects was the gunman, was revealed during the appeal in this case, ANP reports.
The Public Prosecutor did not reveal what data was retrieved from the phones, in order not to jeopardize another investigation. The case was therefore postponed for three months.
The court in Amsterdam convicted seven out of eight men for public violence for their role in a brawl in Amsterdam's Red Light District which ended in the death of 32-year-old Robert Gerritsen two years ago. The court ruled that the blow that ended Gerritsen's life was made in self defense, and 22-year-old Romanian Mirci M. was therefore not punished for it, RTL Nieuws reports.
Two men arrested in Rotterdam on suspicion of planning terrorist attacks in the city and in Paris, also took photos and videos of the Erasmusbridge, was revealed during a pro-forma hearing on Wednesday. "These suspects planned to carry out an attack in the short term. Only through rapid intervention by the police and judiciary were they unable to implement these plans", the Public Prosecutor said in the high security court in Rotterdam, ANP reports.
The Public Prosecutor has information that someone other than the suspect currently in custody may be responsible for the murder of Peter Netten, the Prosecutor said in a proforma hearing the court in Den Bosch on Tuesday. Suspect Kaan D. "may be protecting someone else", his lawyer said, De Gelderlander reports.
The Public Prosecutor "has no case" against Jos B., the 55-year-old man from Simpelveld suspected of sexually assaulting and murdering 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998, B.'s lawyer Gerald Roethof said to RTL Nieuws on Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday Roethof told NU.nl that he still had to study additional documents the Prosecutor sent him.
A 38-year-old Afghan refugee who was convicted of raping an 18-year-old woman with a slight mental impairment in 2016, received a lower sentence from the court in Amsterdam to prevent him being deported, the Telegraaf reports.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 2 years in prison against Zaman S. for the rape. But the court ruled that the sentence must not have the consequence that he is deported, according to the newspaper.
On Wednesday the Public Prosecutor demanded prison sentences up to nine years against the nine men suspected of involvement in a failed attempt to hijack a helicopter and break gang leader Benaouf A. out of the prison in Roermond. Some of the suspects are also facing charges of weapons possession and possession of stolen cars, NU.nl reports.
The Public Prosecution Service will prosecute five former soldiers of the Airmobile Brigade at the Oranje barracks in Schaarsbergen for sexually abusing, harassing and humiliating three of their colleagues, the Telegraaf reports.
The Prosecutor refused to confirm this to NOS, because not all those involved have been informed yet.
The Dutch government supported Jabhat al-Shamiya, an armed group in Syria that the Public Prosecutor labeled terrorist, according to research by Nieuwsuur and Trouw. A Dutch man is currently being prosecuted for participating in this group. The indictment states that Jabhat al-Shamiya is "salafist and jihadist", "strives for the establishment of a caliphate", and "can't be otherwise qualified" than as a "criminal organization with terrorist intent", Nieuwsuur reports.
A psychiatric prisoner escaped from the Pompekliniek in Nijmegen on Wednesday evening and is still at large, a spokesperson for the clinic confirmed to newspaper AD.
The man did not officially escape from the clinic itself. He was out on leave, but never returned. The man was previously transferred for fleeing during a leave period, the spokesperson said. He would give no further information about the escaped man.
The police believe that Hells Angels member Errol Janssen was the man who shot and killed criminal Karel Pronk in Delft last month. The police are looking for him and released his photo to the public on Tuesday to aid in this search.
Pronk was gunned down in broad daylight outside coffee house Het Kalf on Kalverbos in Delft on August 7th. Jansen, who also goes by the name Mick van der Laan, was last seen in Delft on that day, the police said. Since then there's been no sign of him.
Two years ago Amsterdam adopted a proposal which made sexual harassment on the street a punishable offense, but since then the municipality has done little to address the problem. Rotterdam, where this is also punishable, has made much more progress, AT5 reports.
Police officers were keeping an eye on Jawed S., the 19-year-old Afghan suspected of stabbing two tourists at Amsterdam Central Station, shortly before the attack on Friday. So-called 'spotters' - special police officers at the station - noticed that he was acting strangely, Amsterdam police chief Pieter Jaap Aalbersberg said on television program Pauw on Monday.
The Public Prosecutor reached a settlement of 775 million euros with ING. The bank allowed customers to abuse their accounts for the laundering of hundreds of millions of euros between 2010 and 2016, NOS reports.
The amount of the settlement consists of a 675 million euros fine and a reimbursement of 100 million euros. According to the Public Prosecutor, ING did not properly fulfill its role as gatekeeper of the financial system and was negligent in preventing money laundering.
Jos B., the man suspected of killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, will be extradited to the Netherlands on Wednesday. He will be picked up in Spain with a special plane and brought to the Netherlands under the guard of Interpol employees, Spanish public broadcaster RTVE reports based on sources.
Jawed S., the 19-year-old man arrested for stabbing two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station on Friday, told the authorities that he committed the attack because people in the Netherlands insult Islam, the Public Prosecutor said on Monday afternoon, NU.nl reports.
The number of Dutch politicians who reported being threatened increased significantly last year. The special police team that deals with threats against politicians received 331 reports last year, compared to 239 in 2016, the Public Prosecutor announced.
A hand grenade exploded at sisha lounge Down Town on Leenderweg in Eindhoven during the early hours of Saturday morning. The sisha lounge was closed at the time and no one was hurt, though the building sustained some damage, Eindhovens Dagblad reports.
Eindhoven mayor John Jorritsma will meet with the police and Public Prosecutor on Monday to discuss whether the sisha lounge should be closed after the explosion.