The charges against Jos B., the man suspected of involvement in the death of Nicky Verstappen in 1998, was lessened by the court in Limburg. B. is no longer facing a murder charge, but manslaughter, sources confirmed to De Limburger.
The Public Prosecutor added a charge of possession of child pornography against Jos B., the man already suspected of sexually abusing and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998. The 55-year-old man was reprimanded into another 90 days of custody by the court on Thursday, NU.nl reports.
The Public Prosecutor "has no case" against Jos B., the 55-year-old man from Simpelveld suspected of sexually assaulting and murdering 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998, B.'s lawyer Gerald Roethof said to RTL Nieuws on Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday Roethof told NU.nl that he still had to study additional documents the Prosecutor sent him.
Jos B., the man suspected of involvement in the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, went on a summer camp with young scouts in Belgium just two weeks after the Dutch Boy's murder. He spent several days with the young scouts as guest leader, De Limburger reports based on its own research.
Jos B., the man suspected of involvement in the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, will be extradited to the Netherlands on Thursday afternoon, his Spanish lawyer said. The lawyer did not say what time exactly, or to which airport in the Netherlands B. would be brought to, RTL Nieuws reports.
So far the Dutch Public Prosecutor made no statements about when B. will be extradited.
Jos B., the man suspected of killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, will be extradited to the Netherlands on Wednesday. He will be picked up in Spain with a special plane and brought to the Netherlands under the guard of Interpol employees, Spanish public broadcaster RTVE reports based on sources.
Jos B., the man suspected of killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, had a survival kit with which he could survive in the wild with him when he was caught in Spain on Sunday. "He was prepared to sleep in caves, had a lot of prepared food, fishing tackle and a book about edible plants", inspector Antonio Navarro Acevedo from the Barcelona police told the Telegraaf.
Jos B., the 55-year-old man suspected of involvement in the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, will be extradited to the Netherlands, a Spanish court ruled on Monday afternoon. This should happen within the coming days, ANP reports.
Jos B., a 55-year-old man suspected of involvement in the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, was arrested in Spain on Sunday afternoon, the police confirmed on Sunday evening. He is currently in a Spanish cell and will be extradited to the Netherlands shortly, the police said.
A man from Belgium was checked in the Vosges mountains in France on Thursday after Dutch police officers mistook him for Jos B., the man suspected of murdering 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, the Limburg police confirmed to NU.nl.
The Belgian man was not arrested as some media sources reported, only checked to confirm his identity, the Limburg police said.
Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security thinks there should be a discussion on making it mandatory to participate in DNA kinship investigations, he said on Wednesday afternoon after it was revealed that such an investigation led to the identification of a suspect 20 years after the murder of Nicky Verstappen.
The police received over 200 tips about the possible whereabouts of Jos Brech, the 55-year-old man suspected of murdering 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998, Limburg police chief Ingrid Schafer-Poels said on Laat op één. "Most are about his possible whereabouts, or people who think they saw him. We are going to investigate them all urgently."
Twenty years after the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide, the Dutch authorities managed to identify a suspect. The suspect is 55-year-old Jos B. from Simpelveld. The police do not know where he is at this time, and placed him on the national wanted list on Wednesday.
There's been an "important breakthrough" in the investigation into the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998, the police announced on Tuesday. A press conference will be held at the Maastricht police station at noon.
Men in the Limburg region massively responded to the police's call to give a DNA sample for a kinship investigation in the 1998 murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen from Heibloem. On Saturday alone, 1,225 men gave samples. The police even opened an extra collection point in Landgraaf to process the massive response, the Telegraaf reports.
The Dutch police decided to spread their 'cold case calendar' among all 30 thousand detainees in Dutch prisons. An experiment involving the calendar, which contains details about 52 cold cases - one for each week, being spread in five prisons proved to be successful, ANP reports.
The police received dozens of new tips about the murder of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998 after a large-scale DNA investigation was announced on Tuesday. So far a total of 35 people came forward with tips and information, NOS reports.
All information will be carefully investigated, the police said.
The Public Prosecutor is launching a massive DNA kinship investigation in an ultimate effort to find out who murdered 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen from Heibloem in 1998, Prosecutor Roger Bos announced in a press conference in Maastricht on Tuesday. The magistrate gave permission for DNA samples to be taken from 15 thousand men, AD reports.
Nicky Verstappen was found murdered one day after he disappeared from a summer camp on Brunssummerheide in August 1998. His body was found over a kilometer from the camp. The perpetrator was never found.