The Ministry of Justice and Security hid the number of serious crimes committed by asylum seekers in the Netherlands by including crimes like sexual offenses, aggravated assaults, and murder and manslaughter or attempts thereto under the heading of "other" in figures released to parliament, the Telegraaf reports.
Thijs H., who is suspected of killing three people in dog walking areas in Scheveningen and Heerlen, was remanded into another 14 days of custody on Wednesday. The 27-year-old man from The Hague will be admitted to the Pieter Baan Center for psychological observation, the examining magistrate decided, NU.nl reports.
H. is suspected of killing three people. He is facing charges of murder or manslaughter, depending on whether premeditation can be proven.
Zamir M. told the court in Utrecht on Tuesday that he stabbed 24-year-old Laura Korsman to death in her home out of "self-defense" in July last year. According to him, it was the young medical student who grabbed a knife, NU.nl reports.
After five consecutive years of consistent decrease, the number of crimes registered in the Netherlands increased in the first quarter of 2019. In the first three months of this year, 5 percent more crimes were registered than in the first quarter of 2018, according to figures the police released on Monday.
Natural healer Sara G. from Kockengen in Urecht was sentenced to eight years in prison for manslaughter on Wednesday. The 59-year-old woman treated a Swedish woman with the controversial rehabilitation drug ibogaine, after which the Swedish woman died. The Public Prosecutor demanded 10 years in prison against G., NOS reports.
The Swedish woman came to the Netherlands to seek help for her drug addiction. She stayed in G.'s bed and breakfast, where she died in February 2017. According to the Prosecutor, G. did not properly inform the woman about the risks of using the drug.
A 71-year-old man was sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing his wife and getting rid of her body. The then 36-year-old woman disappeared from Siddeburen in 2010. While her body was never found, the court considered it proven that she was killed and that only her husband could have done it, NOS reports.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
T. was remanded into custody for two weeks in a hearing earlier that day. "He also stated that he acted alone. In light of the investigation, no comment can be given regarding his statement," the OM said.
Multiple experts and aid agencies in Noord-Brabant failed in caring for a baby who died in Breda as a result of abuse within the family, the Inspectorates for Healthcare and Youth and for Justice and Security concluded after investigation, NU.nl reports.
The 7-month-old boy died in hospital late in 2017. An autopsy showed that the baby died because he was beaten or shaken violently. His father was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
A flash drive was discovered on the grave of a 22-year-old woman from Maastricht who was found murdered in a villa in Hilversum in July last year. The USB stick contains a text document in which an as yet unidentified writer claims that suspect Kelvin M. could not possibly have acted in self defense, as he claims, 1Limburg reports.
Up until December 28th a total of 108 people were killed in the Netherlands in the year 2018. That is 51 less than last year, though it must be said that 2017 had an exceptionally high number of murder and manslaughter cases at 159, AD reports based on figures moordatlas.nl, which tracks the number of murder and manslaughter cases in the Netherlands.
Jos B., the 56-year-old man suspected of sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998, denies having anything to do with the child's death. He did confess to viewing child pornography, but said in court on Wednesday that he downloaded it accidentally, the Telegraaf reports.
On Monday the court sentenced 40-year-old Toon N. to 12 years in prison for shooting and killing Yassine Majiti in the parking lot of Beachclub Sunrise in Best last year. The Public Prosecutor demanded 16 years in prison against the man, the Telegraaf reports.
The shooting happened during a salsa party early on the morning of November 6th, 2017. There were several disturbances between the groups of men that the victim and suspect belonged to. The fight spilled over into the parking lot, where Majiti was shot in the head at close range.
The charges against Jos B., the man suspected of involvement in the death of Nicky Verstappen in 1998, was lessened by the court in Limburg. B. is no longer facing a murder charge, but manslaughter, sources confirmed to De Limburger.
According to the newspaper, there is insufficient evidence in the case that B. killed the 11-year-old boy with premeditation. The court therefore lessened the charge to manslaughter. The maximum prison sentence for murder is life, the maximum sentence for manslaughter is 15 years.
Jos de G. was sentenced on appeal to 12 years in prison for raping and killing 15-year-old Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. The court in Den Bosch convicted him of rape and manslaughter on Tuesday. When this case was first tried two years ago, De G. was convicted of only rape and sentenced to 5 years in prison, NU.nl reports.
For the first time in five years, the number of people killed by murder or manslaughter in the Netherlands increased. Last year 158 people were killed in a crime, 50 more than in 2016, according to figures Statistics Netherlands released on Thursday.
Former drug baron 73-year-old Kobus L. was arrested in a home in Roosendaal on Wednesday. The Rotterdam man was on the run after he was convicted of manslaughter in July for killing his son-in-law four years ago. L. is now in custody, the Public Prosecutor confirmed to NU.nl.
L. has to serve 12 years in prison for his son-in-law's death.
A woman found dead in a ditch in Leiden two weeks ago was identified as a 44-year-old woman from Epe. She had been missing for some time, the Public Prosecutor said on Tuesday. She was identified based on a DNA investigation, the Prosecutor said.
The court in Utrecht sentenced a 17-year-old boy from Den Bosch to two years of juvenile detention and juvenile institutionalized psychiatric treatment for killing 14-year-old Savannah Dekker in Bunschoten last year. The boy was convicted of manslaughter on Friday. He was given the maximum penalty possible for a perpetrator his age under Dutch juvenile law, NOS reports.
Marcel S. was sentenced to 12 years in prison and institutionalized psychiatric treatment for the death of his 10-year-old son Diego. The court in Rotterdam considered it proven that the 39-year-old man strangled his son to death in anger after his wife left him and convicted him of manslaughter, ANP reports.
Helene J. was acquitted of manslaughter in the death of her 8-year-old daughter Sharleyne Remouchamps. There is not enough evidence to prove that the 38-year-old woman was responsible for her daughter's death, the court in Assen ruled on Monday, NU.nl reports.
The mother standing trial for the murder or manslaughter of her 8-year-old daughter Sharleyne in Hoogeveen in 2015, claims she can't remember anything after she saw her daughter's body lying outside their apartment building over the balustrade of their 10th floor home. "From then on it's black", she said in court on Wednesday, NU.nl reports.
The court wanted Helene J. to explain exactly what happened on the night of June 7th and early morning of June 8th, when the girl died. But J. said she can't remember anything due to the panic after seeing her daughter's body.
A 20-year-old man from Glimmen, Groningen, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for killing his 23-year-old girlfriend and her 6-year-old daughter from a previous relationship in Haren last year, NOS reports.
In October last year the man strangled his girlfriend with a telephone cord and then cut her throat. He then suffocated the 6-year-old girl with a piece of clothing.
Michael P., the man suspected of raping and killing Anne Faber, will also be prosecuted for assaulting three employees of the Pieter Baan Center. The assaults happened in February, NU.nl reports.
P. was admitted to the Pieter Baan Center for a mental health assessment. One morning in February, he assaulted one employee. That evening he attacked two others.
On Tuesday the court sentenced Freddy D. to 10 years in prison and institutionalized psychiatric treatment for killing his 12-year-old stepdaughter Djamila Marissen from Hoogeveen last year, NU.nl reports.
According to the court, D. killed Djamila to prevent being caught sexually abusing her. He was convicted of manslaughter and child sex abuse.