Bekir E. was sentenced to 14 years in prison and institutionalized psychiatric treatment for shooting and killing 16-year-old Humeyra at her Rotterdam school in December last year.
Joel S. was sentenced to six years in prison and institutionalized psychiatric treatment for stabbing 21-year-old Sarah Papenheim to death in her Rotterdam student home last year. Her mother was angered by the sentence, which was well below the recommendation offered by the prosecution.
A 21-year-old man was sentenced to 12 years in prison for killing Amsterdam rapper Gondilio Lowland, known as Bolle. The man was convicted of manslaughter, NOS reports.
The court did not convict the man of murder, because it could not be proven that he had a premeditated plan to kill Lowland. But there is enough evidence to prove that the man was the one to shoot the 19-year-old rapper. Evidence includes surveillance camera footage, tapped conversations, and witness statements.
The number of people killed in a crime in the Netherlands last year decreased by a quarter compared to 2017. Last year 119 people were victims of murder or manslaughter, 39 fewer than in 2017, Statistics Netherlands reported on Thursday. Of the 119 victims, 19 did not live in the Netherlands.
The investigation into a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht and suspect Gokmen T. is almost complete. The police and judiciary have almost a complete picture of what happened before, during and after the attack in March this year, the Public Prosecutor said during a proforma hearing in this case on Monday, AD reports.
T. was not present at the hearing. He is also refusing legal representation, was revealed in the hearing.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 12 years in prison against 29-year-old twin brothers Kevin and Melvin M. for their involvement in the violent death of their cousin Stuart Markiet and for disposing of his body. The brothers deny having anything to do with the 41-year-old Schiedam man's death, the Telegraaf reports.
"With all due respect Mr. Judge. You've asked us a hundred questions, but we did not kill Stuart", Melvin M. said in court on Thursday.
"As a human being, you really cannot bear so much sadness, anger, emotion and disbelief", the parents of 15-year-old Megan, who was stabbed to death in her mother's Breda home last week, said in a letter published by Omroep Brabant. In the letter they thank everyone for the support and sympathy they received, and said they hope the perpetrator will get the maximum punishment.
A 16-year-old boy suspected of stabbing a 15-year-old girl to death in a Breda home on Monday was remanded to 14 days in custody by the court in Breda during his arraignment on Thursday. The Public Prosecutor suspects the boy of murder or manslaughter, AD reports.
The girl, identified as Megan by local media, was stabbed stabbed in a home on Bilderdijkstraat in Breda, where she lived with her mother. Despite emergency services' attempts to resuscitate her, she died at the scene.
Two childminders from Brunssum were again arrested for the death of a 5-month-old baby that was in their care in October 2017. Their arrests were prompted by the final report on the cause of the baby's death, the Public Prosecution Service said to 1Limburg.
"We are still studying [the report], but it gave us enough reason to arrest both people again", a Public Prosecution spokesperson said to 1Limburg. He would not say what the report contained.
The Ministry for Legal Protection implemented a number of extra measures and stricter rules for psychiatric institutions that treat prisoners following the murder of Anne Faber, Minister Sander Dekker said in a letter to parliament. The 25-year-old woman was raped and killed by Michael P., who was being treated by such a clinic at the time for the last part of the prison sentence he received for raping two minor girls.
The Ministry of Justice and Security hid the number of serious crimes committed by asylum seekers in the Netherlands by including crimes like sexual offenses, aggravated assaults, and murder and manslaughter or attempts thereto under the heading of "other" in figures released to parliament, the Telegraaf reports.
Thijs H., who is suspected of killing three people in dog walking areas in Scheveningen and Heerlen, was remanded into another 14 days of custody on Wednesday. The 27-year-old man from The Hague will be admitted to the Pieter Baan Center for psychological observation, the examining magistrate decided, NU.nl reports.
H. is suspected of killing three people. He is facing charges of murder or manslaughter, depending on whether premeditation can be proven.
Zamir M. told the court in Utrecht on Tuesday that he stabbed 24-year-old Laura Korsman to death in her home out of "self-defense" in July last year. According to him, it was the young medical student who grabbed a knife, NU.nl reports.
After five consecutive years of consistent decrease, the number of crimes registered in the Netherlands increased in the first quarter of 2019. In the first three months of this year, 5 percent more crimes were registered than in the first quarter of 2018, according to figures the police released on Monday.
Natural healer Sara G. from Kockengen in Urecht was sentenced to eight years in prison for manslaughter on Wednesday. The 59-year-old woman treated a Swedish woman with the controversial rehabilitation drug ibogaine, after which the Swedish woman died. The Public Prosecutor demanded 10 years in prison against G., NOS reports.
The Swedish woman came to the Netherlands to seek help for her drug addiction. She stayed in G.'s bed and breakfast, where she died in February 2017. According to the Prosecutor, G. did not properly inform the woman about the risks of using the drug.
A 71-year-old man was sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing his wife and getting rid of her body. The then 36-year-old woman disappeared from Siddeburen in 2010. While her body was never found, the court considered it proven that she was killed and that only her husband could have done it, NOS reports.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
T. was remanded into custody for two weeks in a hearing earlier that day. "He also stated that he acted alone. In light of the investigation, no comment can be given regarding his statement," the OM said.
Multiple experts and aid agencies in Noord-Brabant failed in caring for a baby who died in Breda as a result of abuse within the family, the Inspectorates for Healthcare and Youth and for Justice and Security concluded after investigation, NU.nl reports.
The 7-month-old boy died in hospital late in 2017. An autopsy showed that the baby died because he was beaten or shaken violently. His father was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
A flash drive was discovered on the grave of a 22-year-old woman from Maastricht who was found murdered in a villa in Hilversum in July last year. The USB stick contains a text document in which an as yet unidentified writer claims that suspect Kelvin M. could not possibly have acted in self defense, as he claims, 1Limburg reports.
Up until December 28th a total of 108 people were killed in the Netherlands in the year 2018. That is 51 less than last year, though it must be said that 2017 had an exceptionally high number of murder and manslaughter cases at 159, AD reports based on figures moordatlas.nl, which tracks the number of murder and manslaughter cases in the Netherlands.
Jos B., the 56-year-old man suspected of sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998, denies having anything to do with the child's death. He did confess to viewing child pornography, but said in court on Wednesday that he downloaded it accidentally, the Telegraaf reports.
On Monday the court sentenced 40-year-old Toon N. to 12 years in prison for shooting and killing Yassine Majiti in the parking lot of Beachclub Sunrise in Best last year. The Public Prosecutor demanded 16 years in prison against the man, the Telegraaf reports.
The shooting happened during a salsa party early on the morning of November 6th, 2017. There were several disturbances between the groups of men that the victim and suspect belonged to. The fight spilled over into the parking lot, where Majiti was shot in the head at close range.
The charges against Jos B., the man suspected of involvement in the death of Nicky Verstappen in 1998, was lessened by the court in Limburg. B. is no longer facing a murder charge, but manslaughter, sources confirmed to De Limburger.
According to the newspaper, there is insufficient evidence in the case that B. killed the 11-year-old boy with premeditation. The court therefore lessened the charge to manslaughter. The maximum prison sentence for murder is life, the maximum sentence for manslaughter is 15 years.
Jos de G. was sentenced on appeal to 12 years in prison for raping and killing 15-year-old Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. The court in Den Bosch convicted him of rape and manslaughter on Tuesday. When this case was first tried two years ago, De G. was convicted of only rape and sentenced to 5 years in prison, NU.nl reports.