Ewold Horn's death in the Philippines can be blamed on the Dutch government, according to Warren Rodwell from Australia, a former hostage of terrorist movement Abu Sayyaf. The fact that the 54-year-old Dutch man was still a hostage of Abu Sayyaf after seven years shows that the Dutch government did not put enough effort into getting him released, Rodwell said to Dagblad van het Noorden.
Dutch man Ewold Horn was killed on Friday morning while trying to escape his hostage takers in the Philippines, the Philippine military said in a statement. The Dutch birdwatcher has been a hostage of terrorist organization Abu Sayyaf for years.
"I am shocked by this terrible outcome, and express my sympathies to Ewold's family," Dutch Foreign Affairs Minister Stef Blok said in a statement about the Groningen man. "I have also been in contact with the family. I am going to ask my Filipino counterpart for further clarification.”
Eleven crew members of Dutch freighter FWN Rapide who were taken hostage by pirates off the Nigerian coast last month, have been released. They are on their way to be reunited with their families, Groningen shipping company ForestWave announced on Wednesday, RTL Nieuws reports.
Former psychiatric prison patient John van T. managed to slip away during his trial in Den Bosch on Monday morning. The 48-year-old man escaped from the courtroom just before the Public Prosecutor demanded that he again be sentenced to institutionalized psychiatric care. He is suspected of holding a couple hostage in a home in Budel on April 5th last year, and trying to extort them, NOS reports.
A woman was held hostage in her home on Genbroekstraat in Venlo during the early hours of Monday morning. A 63-year-old man from Venlo was arrested, 1Limburg reports.
A man overpowered the woman when she arrived home, pushed her into her home and locked them in. Some time later, the woman managed to slip away from the man and locked herself into another room, from where she called the police.
A SWAT team broke into the house and found the woman, according to 1Limburg. The perpetrator was nowhere to be found.
A Dutchman was recently freed by the Spanish police after spending 11 days as a hostage. He was kidnapped at his home in Lloret de Mar in mid-June and his abductors demanded 1.5 million euros in ransom. The man was freed just before the ransom was paid, AD reports.
The perpetrators were wearing police uniforms when they grabbed the Dutch man as he tried to enter his home. He was beaten, drugged and blindfolded before being forced into the trunk of a car.
During an investigation into a No Surrender member being assaulted by other members of his club in Breda, the police found a photo of a man - blindfolded, gagged and tied to a radiator - on a confiscated phone. The police are still trying to identify this man and are asking the public for help, the Telegraaf reports.
A group of tourists had bad luck with an Amsterdam taxi driver on Wednesday night. The taxi driver charged them 485 euros for the 20 minute trip from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam-West and refused to let them out of the car when they wouldn't pa
Anja de Beer, the Dutch aid worker who was released on Thursday after spending 81 days as a hostage in Afghanistan, plans to go back to Afghanistan to return to her work as soon as she can manage it. Her abduction did not scare her away. "You known that this work entails risks".
The Dutch rescue worker who was kidnapped in Afghanistan in June, has been released after 81 days of captivity, Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs announced on Thursday. She is in good health, according to the Minister.
The Netherlands is working intensely on the release of Ewold Horn, who was kidnapped in the Philippines in 2012.
Sjaak Rijke, the Dutchman who spent 3.5 years as a hostage of an Al-Qaeda linked group in Mali, is heading back to his career as a train driver.
Tarik Z., the man who used a fake weapon to force his way into the NOS building in January, appeared in court on Tuesday. The court ruled that he would remain in custody until the trial on June 19th. His lawyer, Ton Visser, did not ask that his client be released from custody, NOS reports.
Tarik Z., who allegedly used a fake gun to take a security guard as a hostage at the NOS studios in January, will appear in front of court on Tuesday, the Public Prosecutor announced. The now 20-year old man is suspected of kidnapping, threats and illegal possession of a weapon for the incident at the Hilversum Media Park.
A gunman stormed into a Roosendaal cafe Sunday morning and fired several shots before barricading himself in the building. It happened shortly after 10:45 a.m., with officers eventually arresting the man at about 1 p.m., Rosendaal police said.
Sjaak Rijke is finally back home in Woerden, RTV Utrecht reports based on reliable sources in Woerden.
"As everyone will understand, I am overjoyed to be free again after more than three years and I eagerly look forward to the reunion with my family, friends and colleagues." Sjaak Rijke says in a statement released via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, NOS reports.
Sjaak Rijke, held hostage by an Al-Qaida faction for three and a half years, was reunited with his wife on Wednesday at the Bamako airport in Mali. "They shouted for joy," Dutch ambassador Maarten Brouwer told RTL.
Tarik Z., who forced his way into NOS news studios and held a security guard hostage, will appear before court for the first time in an initial hearing on May 12, NOS reports. The first substantial hearing is scheduled for June 19, says the Dutch Public Prosecutor.
Recent investigation into "Jihadi John's" identity have lead British officials to believe that the notorious ISIS killer was in fact held at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam in 2009, Washington Post reports. The infamous British English-speaking man has been seen beheading several hostages on videos circulating the internet.
The hostage incident from last night has led to a confession. 19-year old Tarik Z. held a security guard hostage with a fake gun demanding airtime at NOS. The severe situation led to tightened security measures at Hilversum Media Park and boosted the public safety debate around the country. However even serious incidents have their flip sides.
The 19 year old Tarik Z., who held a security guard hostage and demanded airtime at NOS last night, has confessed. He said that he acted alone and not on behalf of a terrorist group or other organization.
According to psychologist and professor Hjalmar van Marle, health care professionals should be extra alert when it comes to disturbed people. He said this following the incident in the NOS building last night.
For the first time in history the 20:00 news was not broadcast last night due to a man forcing himself into the NOS studios demanding airtime. The man, who was carrying a (later identified as) fake pistol, entered the building shortly before 20:00. The police arrested him in a recording studio at about 20:10.