The Netherlands must "show grace and mercy" and bring back the children of Dutch jihadists in Iraq and Syria as quickly as possible, the special UN envoy for Children in Armed Conflicts, Virginia Gamba, said during a visit to The Hague on Thursday. The fact that these kids and their mothers are now just left to their fates is not only inhumane, but also contrary to international children's rights, she said, Het Parool reports.
The number of adult Dutch currently in Syrian-Kurdish camps or detention centers increased to 55 over the past month, according to new figures from intelligence service AIVD. Three quarters of them are women. They have a total of 85 children with them, some of whom they took with them from the Netherlands, the rest were born in Syria, NOS reports.
Before leaving the Netherlands for the conflict zone in Syria and Iraq, many Dutch jihadist had frequent problems with work, money, education, housing, crime and their psychological health, according to a police study in which the files of over 300 Dutch rebel fighters in the Syrian civil war were analyzed. This means that the distinction between psychologically disturbed perpetrators and ideologically driven terrorists has become obsolete, the police said, ANP reports.
The parents of Dutch who went to Syria to fight in the civil war established a foundation with the goal to convince the Dutch state to bring their children and grandchildren back to the Netherlands, the Volkskrant reports after speaking with members of the foundation.
The foundation is called Achterblijvers, which translates to 'those who stayed behind'. It will be officially registered with the Chamber of Commerce next week, according to the newspaper.
A 24-year-old man from The Hague was arrested at Schiphol airport last week Wednesday. He is suspected of fighting in the Syrian civil war on the side of the Kurdish YPG militia, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement.
The Dutch government will not help Dutch rebel fighter in the Syrian civil war Yago R. get out of Syria, where he is currently in a Kurdish prison. His British wife and their newborn son are also not welcome in the Netherlands, the Volkskrant reports based on information from immigration and naturalization service IND and the Ministry of Justice and Security.
Criminal defense lawyers are using a Dutch aid program for Syrian combat groups to get Dutch jihadists returning from Syria acquitted, according to Nieuwsuur and Trouw. The so-called NLA program is playing an important role in at least six criminal cases, the news agencies report after speaking to lawyers representing returned foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian civil war.
State Secretary Mark Harbers of Justice and Security stripped 37-year-old Outhmane B. of his Dutch nationality. B. traveled to Syria with his family in 2014 and followed jihadist training courses there. He was put on the national terrorism list in 2016, De Gelderlander reports.
According to the newspaper, B. lost his Dutch nationality because he "joined an organization that participates in a national or international armed conflict and poses a threat to national security". The man can appeal against the decision.
The Dutch Public Prosecutor has lists showing that Dutch jihadists received salaries from terrorist organization Islamic State in its possession. These payslips were given to the Dutch authorities by the FBI, newspaper AD reports.
The lists contain the names of all people who worked for ISIS in 2016 and 2017 in Arabic and English. This ranges from fighters to people who did supportive work. The lists include a number of Dutch people, some of whom are currently in custody in the Netherlands, according to the newspaper.
The Amsterdam police are investigating a video in which a spokesperson for the Nasr mosque in Amsterdam-Oost is threatened with death. The threat is related to the mosque's refusal to say a death prayer for suspected Dutch jihadist Sara L., who died with her daughter in a bombardment in the Syrian city of Hajin last month, AT5 reports.
The Netherlands has approximately 500 jihadists and several thousand sympathizers of jihadist ideology, general intelligence service AIVD said in a report published on Monday. "They pose a potential threat. The threshold for committing an attack in the name of Islamic State or Al Qaeda seems to have decreased", the AIVD said, NU.nl reports.
The youngest of the suspected terrorists arrested on Thursday, was previously arrested for taking selfies with F-16 fighter jets at the military airbase in Volkel, according to the Telegraaf. At that time 21-year-old Wail el A. was already once convicted for a failed attempt to travel to Syria and join a terrorist organization there, the newspaper writes.
At least six Dutch women who went to join Islamic State in Syria and Iraq asked the Dutch courts to have them arrested. They are currently in Kurdish camps with 11 Dutch children, and hope to be able to return to the Netherlands in this way, AD reports.
Suspected Dutch jihadists Reda N. and Oussama A. were arrested at Schiphol airport on Tuesday evening, immediately after their plane from Turkey landed. "When the plane landed, they got out of the back door and were taken away by van", journalist Olaf Koens, who was in the plane with them, said to RTL Nieuws.
Two brothers from Utrecht and a woman from Alphen aan den Rijn were arrested on for financing terrorism. They sent money to three men suspected of joining terrorist organizations in Syria and Iraq. The three jihadists are the brothers of the two Utrecht men, and the woman used to date one of them, NOS reports.
Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security started procedures to revoke the Dutch citizenships of suspected terrorists, he said in parliament on Tuesday. How many suspects are involved, or who they are, he refused to say, AD reports.
Previously the Minister announced that two brothers convicted of terrorism would lose their Dutch passports. This time is different, because it involves suspects against whom criminal cases are still ongoing - they have not been convicted yet.
The Dutch government is looking into whether children of Dutch jihadists can be removed from camps in Syria, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security said on television program Pauw. "The children have to leave. They should not be in a camp there", he said, according to RTL Nieuws.
The Minister is working with the National Coordinator for Counter-terrorism and Security to investigate how the children can be brought out of the camps in a safe manner. "It is an extremely difficult matter", Grapperhaus said. "I find it terribly wrong that children are in these areas."
The municipality of The Hague was justified in withdrawing the passports of two men who were suspected of planning to join jihadist groups in Syria or Iraq in 2015, the Council of State ruled on Wednesday, RTL Nieuws reports.
The court in The Hague previously also ruled that the passport confiscation was justified. The two men appealed.
A number of young people in Amsterdam received a photo of a note that is believed to come from Dutch jihadists in Syria. The note calls on the Amsterdam young people to pray for the jihadists. The photo also shows a Kalashnikov and a hand grenade.
In the note the writers ask their 'brothers' in Amsterdam Oost to remember them in their prayers, their 'du'aa'. It reads: "Our Salam from Idlib. To the brothers of Amsterdam Oost. Do not forget us in your du'aa".
Children's Ombudsman Margrite Kalverboer is calling on the government to bring Dutch kids stuck in camps in Syria back to the Netherlands. "Doing nothing is unacceptable and in violation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child", she said on Thursday. "The Netherlands must to everything in its power to bring these children back." ANP reports.
A court in London sentenced Dutch man Aweys S. to eight years in prison for terrorism. He was found guilty of preparing for acts of terrorism and planning to join terrorist organization ISIS in Syria, British newspapers Mail Online and Mirror report.
Dutch jihadist Marouane B. will spend six years in prison, if he ever returns to the Netherlands. On Wednesday the court in Rotterdam convicted him of participating in terrorist organization ISIS in Syria and imposed this sentence on him. As far as is known, the Arnhem man is still in Syria, AD reports.
Some 30 Dutch jihadists who went to join terrorist organizations in Syria and Iraq are "on their way back to the Netherlands", according to Rob Bertholee, director of general intelligence and security service AIVD, AD reports.
Suspected Dutch jihadist Victor D. is still in Syria, he confirmed in a voice message to newspaper AD sent via Facebook messenger.
"The internet is not very fast here. I am indeed still in Syria. Everything is fine. But I think I... eh... I want some rest right now. And especially for my parents, It does not really matter to me. Especially for my parents that they do not go through everything again", he said in Dutch in the recorded message sent to the newspaper.