The trial against four men suspected of involvement in the downing of flight MH17 will take over a year. The court in he Hague set different periods aside for the court case, starting on 9 March 2019 and ending on 26 March 2021. All in all, the court reserved 25 weeks in the high-security Schiphol Judicial Complex for the MH17 trial.
A Dutch woman decided to flee Turkey instead of awaiting her trial on a propaganda charge after she spent months in a Turkish cell with her baby. In a statement through her Dutch lawyer, the woman said that after her experiences in the country over the past months, she no longer has faith that she will get a free trial, NOS reports.
Prosecutors in the Netherlands called on judges in an Amsterdam courtroom to convict Jawed S. in the stabbings of two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station. The prosecution service argued that the act was a premeditated attempt to murder, with terrorist purposes, justifying a maximum allowable prison sentence of 25 years.
The trial against Jawed S., the man suspected of stabbing two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station on August 31st last year, starts in the high security court in Amsterdam on Monday. The two victims will be present at the trial. The three police officers who stopped S.'s attack and arrested him will also speak in the trial, with their identities hidden for security reasons, RTL Nieuws and Nieuwsuur report.
The trial against six men suspected of involvement in the abduction of Insiya Hemani from her grandmother's Amsterdam apartment starts on Monday. The court allocated five days for this trial. The seventh suspect, Insiya's father Shehzad Hemani, is currently in India and will not be tried this week, Het Parool reports.
The police officers that responded to a blockade on the A7 that prevented two buses of anti-Zwarte Piet protesters reaching the national Sinterklaas arrival in Dokkum last year, completely ignored the protesters on the buses and talked in a friendly way with the people blocking the highway, Jerry Afriyie of action group Kick Out Zwarte Piet said in court on Thursday, RTL Nieuws reports.
Another suspect was arrested for involvement in a failed attempt to break criminal Benaouf A. out of the prison in Roermond. The man turned himself in to the police on Wednesday, the Prosecutor said on Monday. 39-year-old Abdelghafour L. is the ninth and final suspect in this case, Het Parool reports.
A man suspected of preparing for an assassination in Almere told the court on Tuesday that he fears for his life and will therefore remain silent. He also denied that he was involved in any plans to assassinate Amsterdam criminal Mustafa el J., and denied knowing El J. at all, ANP reports.
Anne Faber's family had the chance to speak in court on Tuesday during the second day of the trail against her suspected murderer Michael P. "Anne, full of joy, only 25, so innocently out on a bike ride. The perpetrator destroyed everything. Her life, our lives and the lives of everyone who loved her", the young Utrecht woman's father said in court, NOS reports.
"Honestly, I think I should have the right to punish the perpetrator myself. I have such pain in my heart", Anne's father continued. "Anne is the most precious and vulnerable thing in my life, along with my son Rogier."
Michael P. stated that he killed 25-year-old Anne Faber after he raped her because she called for help, was revealed during the first day of the trial against him on Monday.
P. said he wanted to let Faber go after the rape. But when she saw a cyclist and called for help, he stabbed her to death with a knife to keep her quiet.
Michael P., the man suspected of raping and killing Anne Faber, will also be prosecuted for assaulting three employees of the Pieter Baan Center. The assaults happened in February, NU.nl reports.
P. was admitted to the Pieter Baan Center for a mental health assessment. One morning in February, he assaulted one employee. That evening he attacked two others.
The trial against 17-year-old Angelo S. from Den Bosch, suspected of murdering 14-year-old Savannah Dekker from Bunschoten last year, will start in June. The court in Utrecht reserved June 18th and 19th for the trial, AD reports.
Ferry Zandvliet from Rotterdam, who survived a terrorist attack during an Eagles of Death Metal concert in Bataclan in Paris two years ago, will be attending the trial against suspected terrorist Salah Abdeslam in Brussels on Monday. "I want to look that boy in the eyes", he said, according to newspaper AD.
Sharleyne (8), a little girl that three years ago died falling from the 10th floor of a building in Hoogeveen, could have been strangled and then pushed down by her mother, the lawyer for the girl's father said to AD. This happened sometime overnight between night June 7 and 8 in 2015 in the flat where the girl lived with her mother in Hoogeveen.
In previous trials it had not been possible to clarify whether the blonde girl's tragic fall had been an accident or a crime.
Two police officers convicted for the fatal arrest of Mitch Henriquez in June 2015 will appeal against the sentence of their trial, AD reports.
Last month the officers were given a conditionally suspended prison sentence of 6 months, with one year probation. The judge ruled that the two officers were guilty of assault resulting in the death of Henriquez.
The family of an Aruban man who died during an arrest while he was on vacation in the Netherlands wants the European Court of Justice to determine if the investigation into the arrest was handled properly. The family of Mitch Henriquez also want expert testimony from a lip reader to help interpret new camera footage from the day of the arrest they say shows one officer picking up Henriquez's lifeless body, when another pushes the body back to the ground. They also say the video shows that Henriquez's face was purple from a lack of oxygen.
There will be no further investigations, including DNA investigation, in the case surrounding the murder of businessman Koen Everink, the court in Utrecht decided in a pro-forma hearing on Monday. The court also decided that suspect Mark de J. will remain in custody, NU.nl reports.
According to the court, investigation has already been done by three institutes, including the Netherlands Forensic Institute. "These investigations will be used in the assessment of the case", the court said. Another investigation wil not contribute anything, according to the court.
No Surrender founder Klaas Otto, currently in custody in the Middelburg prison, was able to listen to the tapped conversations of other inmates due to a police blunder, NOS reports. Otto is in custody because he is suspected of extortion, assault and arson, amongst other things. In preparation for his trial, he requested the tapped recordings of phone calls he made from prison. He also got the tapped conversations of other prisoners.
The Netherlands' budget for fighting crime hasn't increased since 2009, according to Statistics Netherlands. From 2009 to 2015 government spent 12.9 billion euros a year on crime fighting.
Mark M., the police officer suspected of selling confidential information to criminals, was released. He will be allowed to await his trial - scheduled for May next year - in freedom, with a few restrictions, the court in Den Bosch decided during a pretrial hearing on Wednesday
Jan Fasen - the Breda man who is suspected of playing a central role in the horse meat scandal that had much of Europe doubting their dinners 2.5 years ago - is back in the meat selling business, his lawyer confirmed during a pre-trial hearing in the court of Breda on Wednesday
The trial on real estate magnate Willem Endstra's murder started in the court in Amsterdam on Monday, more than 11 years after he was assassinated. Three men are standing trial - 31 year old Ali N., 35 year old Ozgur C. and 41 year old Ziya G. The Public Prosecutor believes they were involved in committing the murder. Notorious criminal Willem Holleeder is suspected of ordering the assassination, but his involvement will be handled in a separate trial.
Nearly 20 years to the day after Nicole van den Hurk went missing, the lawyer for 48-year-old Jos de G., suspected in the teen's rape and murder, maintained his innocence in court on Monday. De G. was arrested in 2014 after his DNA matched trace evidence found on the victim.
The Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam has launched an experiment in which cancer patients receive their chemotherapy treatments at home, instead of in the hospital.