Amsterdam snack bar targeted in shooting
Popular snack bar Sinbad on Eerste Oosterparkstraat was targeted in a shooting during the early hours of Monday morning. A cleaner was still in the building when the shooting happened, but no one was injured. Seven shots were fired at the shop, the owner said to AT5.
"We've been a household name in Oost for 15 years. I have no idea where this comes from", the owner said to the Amsterdam broadcaster. He took over the business seven years ago. "The customers wonder about what happened. My family and friends too. But I myself have no idea, other than that seven bullets were fired."
The shooting happened around 2:15 a.m. At that time a cleaner was still in the shop. "It certainly was not aimed at him. I can assure you", the owner said. "The shots were low and not meant for someone."
The police did a trace evidence investigation at the scene and spoke to witnesses. So far no arrests were made.
Usually the Amsterdam municipality closes a business after it was targeted in a shooting, to protect public order and ensure safety in the neighborhood. Whether Sinbad will also be closed is not yet clear.
"I am not afraid of that. I can not give a single reason for why someone would want to shoot us", the owner said to AT5. "Worried about my safety? No absolutely not. The police said that if something happens, they can be here in a few minutes."