Elderly Dutch couple hurt in Prague hotel fire
An elderly Dutch couple were injured in a fire at a hotel in the Czech capital of Prague on Saturday night. The victims are an 82-year-old man and a 78-year-old woman, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed. The Dutch embassy is in contact with the couple's traveling companions and stands ready to help where needed, a spokesperson for the Ministry said to RTL Nieuws.
The elderly couple suffered severe smoke poisoning, emergency center Allianz Global Assistance said to the Telegraaf. They were traveling with six other family members, who were not hurt in the fire. "We are consulting with the family about what they want, stay or go home", a spokesperson said to the newspaper.
Four people were killed in the fire at Eurostars David hotel on Saturday night. It is believed the fire was caused by a short circuit, according to RTL Nieuws. Initial reports stated that dozens of people were injured, but most of them did not have to go to hospital. According to Czech media, most victims were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Czech media also reported that a 54-year-old Dutch man was injured in the fire. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs could not confirm this to RTL on Sunday evening.
🔴 ÚLTIMA HORA pic.twitter.com/bjifxrEADo
— 24h (@24h_tve) January 21, 2018
— PortalPolitikis (@PortalPolitikis) January 21, 2018
— 24h (@24h_tve) January 20, 2018