Three hurt in four separate New Year's shootings

A police officer aiming his service weapon
A police officer aiming his service weaponPhoto: Politie

The Netherlands rang in the new year with several shooting incidents. Two people were injured in shootings in Capelle aan den IJssel and the Groningen village of 't Zandt. In Roosendaal the police shot a man suspected of threatening others with a firearm. And police officers fired warning shots at fleeing suspects in Rotterdam.

The police responded to a home on Constantijn Huygensstraat in Capelle aan den IJssel around 3:15 a.m. after receiving a report of shots being fired and two people fleeing to another home on the same street, ANP reports. In the first home officers found a man with a bullet wound. A man and a woman were arrested in the second home on suspicion of involvement in the shooting. Four children found in the second home were placed in care. The extent of the wounded man's injuries is unclear. The police are investigating what happened.

A man was injured in a shooting incident in a home on Beukweg in 't Zandt early on New Year's morning. Paramedics stabilized him at the scene and then transported him to hospital by ambulance, the Groningen police said on Twitter. The severity of his injuries is unknown. An air ambulance was initially deployed, but it turned out not to be necessary. One suspect was arrested. The police are investigating what happened.

Around 3:30 a.m. a police officer shot a fleeing suspect in Roosendaal, Omroep Brabant reports. The police received a report about someone threatening others with a firearm in a home on Kalsdonksestraat. When officers arrived at the scene, the suspect fled. The police fired a warning shot, but the suspect kept running, fleeing into a garden. One officer then shot the man. He was taken to hospital with unknown injuries.

Police officers responded to a report of young people firing a gun into the air in Vreewijk, Rotterdam around 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, AD reports. When officers arrived on Brinkpoort, they found a group of around 10 young people running away. The officers managed to get five suspects under control using a special tactic with drawn weapons, according to the newspaper. As the suspects refused to listen to the police, several shots were fired. The five suspects were searched, but no firearm was found. They were not arrested. The other suspects got away.