Cabo Samana in the Dominican Republic (Photo: Dennishidalgo/Wikimedia Commons) - Credit: Cabo Samana in the Dominican Republic (Photo: Dennishidalgo/Wikimedia Commons)
Wednesday, 29 June 2016 - 09:44
Poisonous fish cause of Dutch newlyweds’ death in Dominican Republic
The death of newlywed Jeroen and Michou Venema in the Dominican republic was likely caused by cigautoxin poisoning after eating the wrong fish, two doctors who treated the Voorburg couple said to the Telegraaf. Jeroen (31) and Michou (28) died on June 12th at the clinic Canela La Romana. They were on honeymoon. The newlyweds fell ill after a day trip to the bounty island of Saona and having dinner at their hotel. After a night of violent vomiting, both died. "We have much experience with suicide and poisoning by pesticides, for example, in this region", Dr Cesar Leon, assisted by Dr. Francisco Hernandez, said to the newspaper. "Then your pupils are small and your muscles twitch uncontrollably. There was none of that in the couple. Nothing was found that looked like suicide or drugs." According to the doctors, it is extremely unlikely that the couple took their own lives. "The whole image looks like a strong ciguatoxin poisoning from contaminated fish. If you're quick enough, within four hours, it is still treatable with the drug Manitol. But also with Mr. Venema, the poison already affected his lung- and heart function. He could not be saved."