Two Dutch hurt in Jakarta attacks; Netherlands offers help

Indonesia's anti-terror unit arrives at scene of Jakarta bombings, Jan 14th, 2016 (Photo: @JeffersonObama/Twitter)Indonesia's anti-terror unit arrives at scene of Jakarta bombings, Jan 14th, 2016 (Photo: @JeffersonObama/Twitter)

At least 19 people were injured in the terrorists attacks in Jakarta, Indonesia on Thursday. According to a corresponded for Australian ABC, two of the injured are Dutch, one of them an UN official who was rushed to a local hospital in critical condition. Seven people were killed, five of them were terrorists.

Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs contacted his Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi shortly after the attack to offer the Netherlands' condolences and aid should Indonesia need it.

The Ministry confirmed that one Dutch citizen was seriously injured in the attack and was undergoing surgery. According to Het Parool, the critically injured man is Dutch UN official Johan Kieft. His condition is unknown.

According to Koenders, this attack once again shows that terrorism's tentacles are spread over the whole world. "Terrorism can hit everybody. Whether you are shopping in the heart of Paris, in a New York office or on vacation in Jakarta. That is exactly the fear that the terrorists want to plant in our hearts." he said, adding that we should not let the fear take over.

According to the local police, one of the explosions were caused by a suicide bomber, the Telegraaf reports. Another was caused by a man on a motorcycle throwing a hand grenade. The police assume that the rest of the at least six explosions were also caused by grenades.

The explosions were clearly terrorist attacks, but so far no terrorist organization has claimed them. According to the head of the homeland security service in Jakarta, there are as of yet no indications that Islamic State soldiers are behind the attacks.

The Dutch embassy in Jakarta immediately after the attack informed Dutch nationals in the area to stay inside. According to Koenders, they were told by text messages to follow the instructions of the local authorities and to stay in contact with the embassy.