Ex-justice official's sexual misconduct probe widened

The Prosecutor’s Office is widening the criminal investigation into the alleged sexual misconduct by former Justice Department official Joris Demmink.

Demmink served as secretary general at the Ministry of Justice and Security until allegations mounted against him for sexual molest of under-aged boys. Among his alleged victims were two Turkish boys who filed complaints against him in 2008 and 2010. In January this year the court of ‘s-Hertogenbosch ruled that a criminal investigation was warranted.

Speaking in the TV program KRO Brandpunt on Sunday, Prosecutor’s Office spokesman Wim de Bruin said that the investigation now no longer concerns just the complaints by the two boys. “In the witness statements we gathered information that we will investigate further,” De Bruin said.

Demmink has maintained his innocence and Justice and Security Minister Ivo Opstelten (VVD) has steadfastly stuck by his Ministry’s retired former top official. ”It was nothing, it is nothing and it will be nothing,” Opstelten said last month.

Tags: