Thursday, 10 April 2014 - 08:28
Man who claims he was threatened at his house
The controversy surrounding the owner of a cleaning company who announced that he only wanted to hire Dutch people, goes even further it seems. Algemeen Dagblad newspaper, which reported on Tuesday that Wesley De Laat received death threats at his house over his job announcement, reported today that the man has been put out of his house weeks ago. De Laat had said on Tuesday that he had fled his residence after four men came there to make threats, but new reports are that he was evicted and the house has been vacant since the week of March 24. Apparently the owner of Budget Cleaning Brabant had not been paying rent. De Laat caused commotion earlier this week when he published job announcement, but stressed that he would only hire “Cleaners from Dutch soil.” He said later that he was specifying because his clients did not want immigrants. He called the commotion that erupted unwarranted, because many other companies quietly followed similar recruitment rules, whereas he was being open about it. “I am not discriminating; I am just not hypocritical about it,” he said. He said he was only hiring Dutch workers because too many talented Dutchmen were at home, unemployed. There have since been at least one report filed against him for discrimination; the College for Human Rights has said that De Laat's company has indeed violated discrimination laws, but the Discrimination Report Point Brabant says the company has not yet; it will have crossed the line when it does indeed refuse to hire people over their origin. De Laat claimed that after his job announcement, four “foreigners” visited him at his house and told him to withdraw the ads if he wanted to continue living. His company that was first listed at the house he is evicted from, meanwhile has a new address, but it is not clear now where he has lived since he was forced to move out.