The Public Prosecutor again demanded prison time in the appeal case against Bart van U., who was convicted last year for killing politician Els Borst and his sister Lois. Van U. was sentenced to institutionalized psychiatric care, but the Public Prosecutor believes that prison time is appropriate, NU.nl reports.
Former soldier Robert B. was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 12 years in prison for killing his wife in Kaatsheuvel last year, the military court in Arnhem ruled on Monday. The Public Prosecutor had demanded 15 years in prison, AD reports.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 7 years in prison against child minder Cora A. the court in Breda on Friday. A. is suspected of shaking a four month old baby to death while he was in her care in 2013, Omroep Brabant reports.
The four month old baby from Oosterhout died in June 2013, one week after being admitted to the hospital. The investigation against Cora A. only closed in the autumn of last year.
A police officer is now under suspicion of causing the death of a 68-year-old homeless man arrested in Amersfoort, Utrecht last week. The homeless man was taken into custody for public intoxication at about 10:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, and the officer is accused of pushing him hard into a jail cell in the same city later that evening.
The homeless man died on Wednesday, the public prosecutor said in a statement.
The prosecutor said the suspect was not cooperating when he was pushed. He then fell and hit his head, the prosecutor's office confirmed.
A 28-year-old man from the Maastricht region is a suspected of manslaughter in the fatal arrest of Macedonian man Bekim Hasani in December last year, lawyer Peer Szymkowiak confirmed to several media sources on Thursday. The man helped a police officer, a police officer in civilian clothes and a member of the Marechaussee in overpowering Hasani in a shopping center in Maastricht, AD reports.
A 24-year-old man from Hellevoetsluis turned himself in at a police station in Dordrecht on Thursday. He was internationally wanted for a fatal shooting in his home-town on Boxing Day. This means that all four suspects in the case is now in custody, the police said in a statement.
The number of murders and manslaughters in the Netherlands dropped to 109 in 2016, according to Elsevier's annual murder list. That is the lowest number of killings since the list was started in 1992.
The record low number of murders does not match the public's idea of violent crimes in the Netherlands, according to Elsevier. "Assassinations get excessive attention in the media an the public therefore has the impression that everything is going wrong", the magazine writes.
The widow of a 35-year-old Macedonian man, who died during an arrest in Maastricht on December 20th, is suing the police. She is accusing the police of murder or manslaughter, her lawyer Hakan Kulcu confirmed to newspaper AD.
Nearly a quarter of all the murders and manslaughters committed in the Netherlands this year, were committed in Amsterdam. Throughout the Netherlands 99 people were killed by violence so far this year, 23 of the victims died in Amsterdam, according to figures from moordatlas.nl, AD reports.
Last year there were a total of 115 homocides in the Netherlands, with the 100th victim dying on November 8th. So far it seems likely that there will be fewer homicides this year, following the downward trend of the past years.
The Public Prosecutor filed an appeal in the case surrounding the rape and murder of Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. Earlier this month suspect Jos de G. was found guilty of raping the 15-year-old girl and sentenced to 5 years in prison. But the court acquitted him of killing the Eindoven teen.
Family members left the courtroom sobbing as a judge in Den Bosch acquitted a man -repeatedly accused of sexual offences- of manslaughter in the 1995 death of teen Nicole van den Hurk. The not-guilty verdict was read shortly after the court convicted him of rape in the attack on the victim. The crime remained an open cold case until a DNA match led to the arrest of Jos de G. in 2014.
The police arrested four people suspected of involvement in a fatal shooting in Rotterdam in July. A 35-year-old man from Rotterdam was killed, ANP reports.
The 23-year-old man who hit two pedestrians with a car in Tilburg last week Thursday is being charged with manslaughter. His 20-year-old brother is no longer in custody, but is still a suspect, the Public Prosecutor confirmed to NU.nl.
Ad van den Hurk verbally attacked Jos de G., the suspect in the rape and murder of his daughter Nicole, in the Den Bosch court during the last day of the trial on Thursday. Among other things, he called De G. a "breathing flesh heap" and creature" and blamed him for showing no remorse for what he did to his daughter, the Telegraaf reports.
On Friday the Public Prosecutor demanded three years in prison, one of which conditionally suspended, against 18-year-old Elias A. for killing a toddler in a hit-and-run accident in Breda on King's Day. The Prosecutor also wants the teen's driver's license suspended for eight years and that he be treated in a clinic, NU.nl reports.
Three Romanian suspects arrested in Brussels on October 8th for involvement in a fatal brawl in Amsterdam’s Red Light District, were extradited to the Netherlands, the Belgian authorities announced on Friday, ANP reports.
The fight early in September left 32-year-old Robert Gerritsen in a coma. He later died of his injuries. It was initially thought that Gerritsen in his friends tried to calm the fight on Oudezijds Achterburgwal, but camera footage later showed that this was not the case. They were active participants in the fight.
There will be no new judges on the trial on the rape and murder of 15-year-old Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. On Wednedsay the court in Den Bosch denied a recusal request filed by the girl's family
Murdered Nicole van den Hurk's family submitted a recusal request. They want the judges currently on the case to be replaced because they feel the judges don't take them seriously. The family also thinks the judges may be biased
The Public Prosecutor demanded 14 years in prison against Jos de G. in court on Wednesday for the rape and killing of 15-year-old Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. De G. faces charges of rape and manslaughter.
Police chef Gerard Bouman promised the five police officers involved in Mitch Henriquez' death in custody that they will not loose their jobs, NRC reports based on confidential correspondence in its possession.
Leeuwarden city councilor Wyb Feddema is facing manslaughter charges for a fire in 2013 in which a 24-year-old student was killed
The case surrounding deaths of patients after receiving treatment at alternative cancer clinic Klaus Ross Center in Germany, is smaller than expected. The German and Dutch authorities are investigating five suspicious cases, not 70 as reported in the media, the German judiciary said in a press conference on Friday, according to reporter Chris van Mersbergen tweeting from the press conference.
An 18-year-old man who killed a 3-year-old boy in a hit-and-run in Breda on King's Day, was driving 50 kilometers over the speed limit when he hit the toddler, according to the Netherlands Forensic Institute's preliminary conclusion after investigating the car